Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is really bugging me. I have searched the forum and google and have not found the answer to my question yet and I am very sorry if the answer is in the forums somewhere.I have read a ton of threads on DRL's but have not found the answer I am looking for. Anyways I recently bought a 07 FXT 5MT and noticed the the DRL's are always on even in the brightest of the day yet the manual states the DRL's will automatically come on at reduced brightness. So which is it? The DRL's are on 24/7 or they come on at reduced brightness? Thank you

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you may be misinterpreting the manual. "[the DRL's] automatically come on (with) reduced brightness" as opposed to "(in) reduced brightness." Meaning the lights themselves are the ones not being bright, not the light outside. At least in my Foz, they're always on (with low brightness) whenever the E brake is off, regardless of light outside. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome! We're glad to have you here.

"Reduced brightness" means that when the low beam headlights are lighted up as DRLs they aren't as bright as they are when they are actually turned on as headlights. The DRL system inserts a resistor into the circuit to cut down on the voltage presented to the low beam lights, and this circuit is always on when the Forester is running—except when the parking brake is on or, of course, when the headlights themselves have been selected.

Wander over to the New Member Introductions Forum, introduce yourself to the folks here, and check out the sticky threads there for more info about your Forester and about how the forum works.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I greatly appreciate it and holy crap I cant believe I misunderstood the manual like that. It all make complete sense now (hitting myself on the forehead). Thanks for the reply and thanks for not bashing me for it. BTW I love the forester, my favorite vehicle yet :p

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
We don't bash here. It's a grownup place, and we're happy to have you here with us. We love our Foresters too!

Now, fill in your profile and your signature, read up on how the place works, and join in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts