Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1. Spend $500 on an exhaust with out intake or stage 1 tune?2. Spend $500 on cosmetics/short throw?

• 1. Exhaust without intake/tune

• 2.cosmetics/shifter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting to ask some questions about my new car. I just got this '07 Forester 2.5XT looking for opinions on the most essential beginning modifications. Look through the images, let me know what you guys think, thanks!!
My ideas:

-looking for a trunk spoiler... does anyone here know how much I should spend or where to find a black (JDM or USDM) spoiler?

-looking for the best cheap/best sounding exhaust/intake mods and if stage 1 tune would be needed with them.

-car is a five speed, looking for opinions on short throw shifters, heard lots of people go with them for first mods. It is my first manual car...is it worth my money?

Note: The car is stock, the only mod I have done is WRX suspension swap for lower ride height.

'05 legacy wheels

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Stock (right after purchase)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Automotive tire

needs a front lip 馃拃

forester cross-sports/mesh grille?馃

'03-'05 tail light swap/trunk spoiler?馃馃ザ

Registered
You'll get more bang for your buck with cosmetics (longevity) and a short throw, initially. I'd save any tuning for after you've driven it through the winter and gotten really familiar with the power and transmission.

eta it has so much torque, at least at lower speeds, that shifting can be tricky on icy roads so you want to get that practice in before adding power.

Registered
2004 XT
If you want cheap exhaust, you could find a sti exhaust from a similar year from people selling them or junkyard. Sounds pretty good and wont break the bank. Check out youtube, theres a lot of people posting the sound their new exhaust makes. Its crazy how much difference the suspension changes the look of the car. Yours is looking good!

Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
On exhaust, tuners usually recommend a downpipe first if you are looking to increase power. Pretty much the #1 low hanging fruit mod, especially if you tune it afterwards.

As far as axle back exhaust, I used a TurboXS for awhile which was a quality piece for fairly cheap ($299 i think it was), it was just a bit too loud on the interstate for me - not obnoxious, but you heard it. Nice rumble though for sure!

Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
Spend some time detailing it and prepping it for the winter, update your stereo, and get a feel for the shifter first. Then get a short shifter, and a Group N transmission mount too to stiffen the drivetrain. Performance mods are fun but I think you鈥檒l appreciate them more when you know the difference, and every time you shift you鈥檒l remember it was worth it. Nothing wrong with doing them all at once, but you can better see the direction each change is taking your car and decide if you want to go that route more or focus on something else (downpipe and power mods , sway bar and suspension, HID retrofit and cosmetics)

Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
@SLAMMEDFOZX07 For cosmetic modifications, below are some of my favorite!

You might consider an '07-'08 Sports grille.

'08 Sports blacked out headlights & tail lights to reduce the chrome.

Of course there's the STi scoop upgrade. The stock scoop is on the top of the STi scoop!

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@2.5x_sleeper My favorites as well!
- The best ways I could get my hands on the cross sports/mesh grille options?
-I was considering blacking out the tails but was hesitant of messing it up and ruining the seal and getting them fogged up... is it an easy enough job I could do on my own? (I still eventually will swap to the 03-05 lights, so maybe ill just send it)
-really want a jdm scoop where can I find a black one???

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On exhaust, tuners usually recommend a downpipe first if you are looking to increase power. Pretty much the #1 low hanging fruit mod, especially if you tune it afterwards.

As far as axle back exhaust, I used a TurboXS for awhile which was a quality piece for fairly cheap ($299 i think it was), it was just a bit too loud on the interstate for me - not obnoxious, but you heard it. Nice rumble though for sure!
something like this?:
clid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb6pfaCUEw35lf0ooGGOs9S5GNvHN_PIJwbKRQIpo5pyhOjmaXLwe8BoCIycQAvD_BwE

-or did you mean the full cutback:

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want cheap exhaust, you could find a sti exhaust from a similar year from people selling them or junkyard. Sounds pretty good and wont break the bank. Check out youtube, theres a lot of people posting the sound their new exhaust makes. Its crazy how much difference the suspension changes the look of the car. Yours is looking good!
What year sti could It come off of just the '04?
Thanks! wrx suspension is the key for the fozzys I love the lowered look...eventually might need coils.

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spend some time detailing it and prepping it for the winter, update your stereo, and get a feel for the shifter first. Then get a short shifter, and a Group N transmission mount too to stiffen the drivetrain. Performance mods are fun but I think you鈥檒l appreciate them more when you know the difference, and every time you shift you鈥檒l remember it was worth it. Nothing wrong with doing them all at once, but you can better see the direction each change is taking your car and decide if you want to go that route more or focus on something else (downpipe and power mods , sway bar and suspension, HID retrofit and cosmetics)
-the paint is pretty awful, do you recommend going to a detailing place and paying to get the paint corrected?
-and If so should I wait until I get body kit items to paint match it all at the same Time?

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI i voted cosmetics/shifter because exhaust/tune is almost guaranteed to be the gateway drug to an out of control car modding habit, speaking from experience!
haha I can see myself falling into that habit, but I can also see me obsessing with cosmetics going overboard when my car isn't even loud or tuned yet馃樄

Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 5MT
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WHEEL FITMENT OPINIONS:
-I was looking into aftermarket wheels and tires and found someone very near me selling 5x114 STI Goldies, seen people run them on black foresters and they look sweet. To keep the cost down was thinking of buying them without tires and finding some used snows to put on them for the winter.

-I live in northern Michigan, most people would tell me not to run these until snow melts but I'm going to need new wheels anyway and figured it would be worth the trade off this winter.

- I know I'd need adapters to get them on a foz. considering the wrx suspensio, what tire domensions (considering they will be snow tires as well) would work/look best on them. Is it worth going through the hassle of getting adapters and making them fit? Or would it not be an issue bolting it all right up.

-Told them I can check them out Thursday. They look amazing it definitely gets me excited to get new wheels, but ill only do it if it won't be a pain getting them on the car and its just a matter of ordering the 5x114-->5x100 adapters and throwing them on

Registered
+1 on the cosmetics idea and the one about detailing as that can make a huge difference in the vehicles appearance. .....like the rear bumper cover that looks to have been badly neglected. There are products out there that can help restore the original finish or appearance.

"Best sounding" is really subjective in regard to exhaust. I've heard plenty in my day some folks thought sounded great and I thought were awful. The sweetest sound exhaust on a Subaru I thought was Prodrive. I had an oval tip on my '03 WRX for a number of years before I parted it out and sold the car. Very mellow but distinct and complemented the boxer rumble perfectly IMO.

I'd enjoy the car for now and get used to how it drives, make sure there are no other functional issues that need addressing, etc.

I think the gold STi wheels would look good on it. I had Enkei RPF1's on my WRX that I almost kept and installed on my wife's '08 Forester she had at the time. ....loved those wheels.

Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
@2.5x_sleeper My favorites as well!
- The best ways I could get my hands on the cross sports/mesh grille options?
-I was considering blacking out the tails but was hesitant of messing it up and ruining the seal and getting them fogged up... is it an easy enough job I could do on my own? (I still eventually will swap to the 03-05 lights, so maybe ill just send it)
-really want a jdm scoop where can I find a black one???
The '07-'08 Sports grille is "plug & play" for '06-'08. GRILLE ASSY FSG - 91121SA140, expensive at $225!

As far as I know, no one has successfully opened on of those tail lights to black them out. They are sonic welded together.
The Sports tail lights are "plug & play". LAMP ASSY CO - 84201SA360 & 84201SA370, expensive at $153 each!

Members have had luck opening & blacking out the chrome headlights. It's a process! The '08 Sports headlights are "plug & play". ASSY HE - 84002SA200 & 84002SA210, VERY expensive at $297 each!

'02-'03 JDM STi scoop, aka JDM V7 STi scoop was around $150 when I bought one 10 years ago. I suspect it will cost more now. It will cost another $100+ to have a body shop paint it to match your Forester color.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Registered
2004 XT
I don't know the exact years but I looked around 2000- 2007 before they went to dual exhaust. Don't quote me on my years. Another cheap and janky way to get some subie rumble is cutting a 4"x4 hole in the muffler of the exhaust. I did it on a 01 outback i used to have and it sounded great and was free! Check the laws in your state, but if i can get through California smog with it, you could probably get away with it anywhere.

Registered
2005 Forester XT 5-speed
I agree with several people saying enjoy the car as it is now, get to know it before you start modding it for power. Keep in mind that when you start doing power mods it's important to get a tune. If you're banking on buying a Cobb AccessPort and using their off-the-shelf (OTS) maps they're a good starting point but will never be as good as a professional tuning session because there's too many different companies making these parts to have a single map that covers all of them. If you're not familiar with AccessPorts they get "married" to the vehicle they tune so if you look into buying a used one it's essential you verify it's unmarried. No used married AP is worth anymore more than $0 for you to use because the cost of having Cobb unmarry it is the same amount people sell them used unmarried.

For the STi wheels, if you go that route it's better to get them without tires. STi tires are shorter and wider than stock FXT tires which means your speedo will be off, ~5mph at 65mph. There are online calculators that can give you the exact difference. As you've noted, you'll need wheel adapters and you need to account for that otherwise you can get into a situation where the tires rub especially since you're lowered. The only USDM STi wheels that are 5x100 are the 2004 STi and those gold wheels go for a lot more then the others since they're more uncommon.

The Sports tailights from the 2008 FXT are the blankened ones and it's pretty much next to impossible to open up any of the non 08 Sports taillights to blacken them. The 08 Sports Headlights are also blackened but you can open up the non-Sports headlights so some people have done their own blackened mod.

Something else you may want to consider, it's not clear how many miles are on your car so you may want to hold onto your money for now and do some thorough maintenance and check-up to make sure everything is good. It's still a 13 year old car so things like bushings, bearings, etc may need to be replaced. Definitely keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it's not eating it and go ahead and do an oil change so you know for sure how long it's been. Look at the oil while it drains to make sure there's no coolant mixed in.

Otherwise, looks like a great ride and the 5-speed is a ton of fun. Don't do hard launches, the 5-speed isn't bulletproof and the easiest way to grenade it is by launching on dry concrete.

Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
something like this?:
clid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb6pfaCUEw35lf0ooGGOs9S5GNvHN_PIJwbKRQIpo5pyhOjmaXLwe8BoCIycQAvD_BwE

-or did you mean the full cutback:
I just had the axle back(the muffler), bolted up to the stock midpipe. I have COBB downpipe as well but that's another story. I think thats the first link but its giving me an error. Another thing i liked about it, you can mount it to the stock size midpipe or if you upgrade to a 3" midpipe later it will fit that too - has a flange with holes for either size.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts