Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through the Turbo and N/A sub-forums and didn't find anything that fit my question.

My new 05 XT will soon be approaching 1000 miles. My dealership that just performed the post-delivery cleaning recommends oil changes at 1000 miles and then at 3750 mile intervals. In my opinion, I think that oil change intervals less than the factory are, for the most part, a way to keep their revenue streams up.

But I'm all for hearing collective wisdom of other owners. I'm also planning on going synthetic at some point. My guess is that I'll try to adhere to a 5000 or 7500 mile oil change interval and either switch over at 10k or 15k. This car sat as a leftover on the lot for a while and had 174 miles when I bought it. Majority of driving will allow the vehicle to fully warm up (either 15 mile drives or 60 mile drives). No stop and go driving.

So, for my question. What do people think about changing the oil at 1000 miles? And then what intervals are others following?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
i changed mine at 3000 miles. i can't do 5000 miles since i drive a lot and the forester is my daily driver and city driving so that means a lot of stop & go traffic.

if you do a lot of highway driving then you could do the 5000 mile intervals

just my .02

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
My dealer told me the first oil change wasn't necessary until 3k, and the owners manual seemed to reflect that as well. However, I felt better doing the first oil change at 1k to get any metal shavings out that may have accumulated during break-in. After that, I followed up with 3-3.5k intervals and switched to full synthetic (Mobil 1) at 7k. Had my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs at 30k and the results were A-OK, so they recommended I go to 4k intervals. I have been doing that ever since, and will get another oil analysis done at 60k, probably in a month or so.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I've noticed that many here wait until 7,500-15,000 miles before switching to synthetic oil. The dealer told me it doesn't need synthetic but if I do use it, wait until 15,000. Why is that? I drive about 80 miles daily, mostly freeway, in southern California and the only time I push it is when merging on the freeway. I have an 06 X, 2400 miles. Getting my first oil change at the dealer on Tuesday, after that, I'm doing them. Thanks.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
I switched to synthetic at my first oil change (3,000 miles) I run the synthetic for 5k between oil changes but the FXT usually burns through a qt by about 4k which is normal, you just have to remember to check and fill.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
729 Posts
Do the first change at 1000. Then change at a 5000 interval if you are only highway driving. I do that for convenience as it's easier to keep track at those intervals. Switch to synthetic whenever you feel like it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1000 miles first, every 3000-5000 after that with regular oil, wait until 12-15k before you switch to synthentic so you don't have oil consumption problems, then do the switch. also everyone knows syn oil is better, the major reason being you can go longer on oil changes, however if your like me and can't stand to go 8-9k in between changes i don't think it really matters if you use real or syn oil. yeah i know i'm using mobil one in my supercharged gsr but i'm still changing the oil every 3-5k, i just can't leave it in any longer. one other thing though, syn oil is MUCH less likely to coke on the turbo bearing if you drive your car hard and put it away wet, but it if you let it cool down you won't have that problem anyway. all that being said though i can't say i won't switch to mobil one when the time comes i only have have 4300 miles, but i can say get a cobb stage 2 and put it on after you get a couple thousand more miles on it, it's the way they should have built the [email protected]

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,678 Posts
ogopogo said:
The dealer told me it doesn't need synthetic but if I do use it, wait until 15,000. Why is that?
Those metal shavings that Silke is talking about cause an oil to shear down. You can look at a used oil analysis on a Subaru with less than 10k miles on it, and there's a good chance it will have sheared down to a 20 weight if you're going much past 4,000 mi. on the interval. There a probably a lot of folks driving around with 20 weight so I don't know how big of an issue that is.

Now I'm on my third Subaru and I did the first change at 3,750 on all 3, but didn't keep any car past 75k miles. If I had to do it again, I would to the first change at 1,000, especially after seeing a UOA of factory fill shearing down to a 20 weight at 1k.

I use German Castrol Syntec 0W30 and run it for 7,500 miles. It stands up to short trips, off-roading on the beach and summer trips to SC with no problem. I wouldn't run many other 30 weights that long except for maybe Redline or Motul.

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided to go in around 1000 miles for the first change based on a couple factors:
1) Car manufacture date is 12/04 so that means the original oil is 14 mos. old
2) TSB for rough idle/AVCS filters in banjo bolts
3) Possible ECU reflash for rough idle

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oil changed at 1263 and dealer filled with 10W-30 (their summer oil) instead of 5W-30 which doesn't exactly endear me to their service crew.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did my first at 1000 miles. Largely due to the fact the car was a holdover and the oil was a little older from sitting on the lot. I plan to change to synthetic at my next oil change, around 7,000 miles based on advice from a guy I know who is huge into turbos and has been for many years.

After that it is every 3000 miles with M1 5w-30 Synthetic.

PS you'll get a ton of answers to this question. Is there one answer that is right and the others wrong? Not likely. The main thing is to change it regularly and do your maintenance.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
How about following Subaru's recommendations, on the grounds that they might actually know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts