Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just picked up my first subaru yesterday, 04 XT with 200k. As usual, with that many miles there is going to be issues. Here a couple. when accelerating, the turbo is making a weird noise, not a regular spool noise. any ideas? Also, the transmission slips and makes the car stutter a little. what other year tranny can i swap in? most likey cheaper than rebuilding. Also have a check engine light with a flashing Cruise control, if anyone has ideas for me please let me know thank you

·
Premium Member
2004 4CC-PV 5MT
259 Posts
Congrats on the new Subie Matt. Here's what I got for the issues that you described:

Turbo noise - this could really be several things, but with 200k on the odometer I would definitely check the oil supply line first. There is a small screen in that connection that if clogged will starve the turbo of oil which is obviously bad. Not saying it's that, just something that you should be aware of. Are there other symptoms other than the noise? Does the vehicle build boost? Is the nose constant or modulate with speed? Is it more noticeable on acceleration or deceleration?

Transmission options - I'm assuming that yours is an auto so it's a 4 speed (4EAT Phase II Version II). There should hopefully be a sticker on the bell housing which will give you the transmission code. The 4EAT was used in most Subaru's up to MY08/09, but the center diff and final ratio is going to be your limiting factor with interchangeability. I would start with a basic service and see if that fixes your stutter issue.

CEL, flashing CC - You'll need to pull the code to get a better idea on what's wrong. It could be anything from a wheel speed sensor to the CC module.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts