Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I bought a non-driving Foester today and joined this site-I am a long-time Subie lover and worked for a Subaru dlr for 12 years, several of them were as svc mgr.. I have owned 3 4wd Loyales, bought a new Justy in '88, last year sold our '95 Impreza awd wagon, and now are the proud owners of this Forester.
I grew up in the U.P of Mi., in a car dealer family, and have had daily exposure to new Audi,VW,Porsche,Bmw,Toyota,Mercedes,and Subaru. I worked as a used Import dealer for a few years and suffice to say am a serious car lover.
Things have changed alot in just a few years and although it has featured fewer cars and other material things, it is better than before thanks to an awesome young family we are raising.
I plan on keeping this car and subtle modding it to be lower and handle better and eventually more power.
I have just posted in the transmission forums as I need to swap one out before this rig will be mobile. I bought it today, already have all the parts I need (famous last words) and with luck will be driving this thing within 2 weeks.
Pictures will be posted soon after.

Cheers, Michael

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your new Forester repairs. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Likewise, welcome to the forum. I have now been a member for about 30 minutes. I moved from GR MI out here to CO and love it! In fact, my wife and I are going to go skiing tomorrow. Wish I could take the subie, but like you know, it needs a tranny.

Congrats on your new family!

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well no pics yet but a status update: the car is at my parent farm now and the transmission has arrived, next week my brother and I will be replacing it with the clutch and we should be driving!
Michael

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry no pics yet but an update just the same. As purchased, this car was stuck in a gear, and now having removed the transmission I can see why it did not move. The clutch had disintegrated to the point it looked like a black animal nest with a burnt CD in the middle!
My brother was not able to help but I was able to complete the trans (used trans with 125k) and new clutch swap alone, and am amazed at how easy this car is to work on, extremely intellegent build!
While I was under there I was able to remove the cv shafts and replace both the inner boots, I then swapped them in reverse order so the left shaft is now on the right and vise versa-I figure that even though they were not noisy, after 200k it was a good idea that they spin in the opposite direction for awhile.
I drove the car for 2 weeks like that and yesterday I replaced the timing belt. Another job that was at first slightly intimidating, but once in there am amazed at how simple it was. I also replaced the rear cat-pipe to center pipe gasket, and drove it just one day and the check engine light has gone OFF!

I realize this car has 206k miles, but the p/o had put all shocks,control arm bushings and tires and alignment on it within the past 6 months, and it rides and drives like a dream!
That is good, because we are taking it on a roadtrip to Wash.D.C. in 2 weeks.

Pictures to come!
(haveing a shop manual makes all the difference)

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bizarra problem with new/old trans 5spd

I have put 30k miles on the used 5speed that I replaced at time of purchase (see first post).
Yesterday I had something truly bizarre happen! I was sitting with the car running in neutral with A/C on waiting for my wife in the store when suddenly the car lurched forward and engine stalled. I looked in the rearview mirror because I was sure someone had bumped me from behind.
I restarted the car (with clutch in) and released the clutch (still in neutral) and it stalled the engine. After restarting I realized that somehow the car was in 5th gear at all times! I could select any other gear including reverse but when clutch released it would stall the engine as if the trans was in two gears at the same time!
Since this happened only 3 blocks from home and mostly down hill I feather the clutch (with selector in neutral) and drove it home in 5th gear. I got under the car and had wife move shifter which was fully functional and would go into all gears as it should but would lockup and stall engine when clutch released.
I bought this car with a bad trans and have heard bad things about the 1rst gen foresters so I assumed the trans was shot.
This morning just for the heck of it I go in and put it in reverse and it moved backwards a little although it shuddered like the was a friction issue, I went back and forth from reverse to 1rst and the shuttering slowly dimished and suddenly it drives normally again!
I just put 20 miles on it without a single problem.
It is now on jacks to drain and inspect trans fluid.
I am assuming a rogue metal frag must have wedged in 5th/syncro to cause original problem and eventually got ground up?
Any ideas and comments welcomed!!
Thanks

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced fluid and found no debris at all/ Went on 600 mile family trip over the weekend without a problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts