Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Negotiating for used '18 XT

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  SubsSubs 
#1 ·
I've found a 'XT near me with 4k on the clock listed for $34,500. Recently moved to the States and it will be my first car purchase out here. I'm wondering how to negotiate on that price before I call in for a test drive.

'18 XT touring. Should I aim for 10% off asking price?

Your advice and opinions are very much appreciated.

#4 ·
IMO, it makes a lot of sense to thoroughly test drive the XT AND the 2019. If he does, it should give him a reasonable choice, given his question. For me personally, the 2019 looks great, except for the engine. I couldn’t stand going back to the 2.5 version after owning an XT. Just not enough power.

Personal choice.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Terr, i just purchased a 2018 XT Touring with ~8000 miles, a dealership demo/loaner, for $31 k. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah where Sube's are a hot item so couldn't find a decent deal on this model, etc. You'll likely have to pay what the current market demands. That said, $34,500 seems quite high for the car you mention; even though it's low mileage it's still a "year old used car".

#7 ·
WAAAY too much for that vehicle. I bought a fully loaded 17 XT Touring with every available option for under what they are trying to sell you a used one for. My MSRP was just under $38K. Not worth the investment unless you can get them down to around $32K.

#8 ·
You need to find the MSRP new. Then offer them 6000 less. I got 3700 off of mine New.
I am gussing it will be between $5000 and $6000 off. Under no circumstance should it be less than $5000. The only thing in PA that is added then is tax and title . No prep fee or any of that bs.

#10 ·
I'm not sure if there are really leftover 2018s that are legitimate inventory that will sell for a decent price.
And as much as people put line in the sand kind of values out there, it will sell for what it will sell for. 30K sounds like a great price, but if its in demand in your market, it may not be attainable.

Personally, I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. go drive the car and decide whether you want it, then decide what you're willing to pay and negotiate. the dealer won't want to pin down a price really unless he is able to make a sale. You currently don't know whether you want the car, but i want your best price...

#13 ·
Very true. “Similar” situation in December when we bought a 14 OB 3.6R with SAP, with 37k miles. Already a car/model/package that was super hard to find (looking for 2-3mos), not to mention low miles. And since my heart was already set I really didn’t get much off the asking price. Kicked myself a bit for different reasons but in the end my wife and I are very happy. And she loves it, even after convincing her we should buy another Subaru, so that’s good :grin2:

#18 ·
This has definitely been a different beast than normal negotiating. IMO, the price market hasn't quite caught up to the fact that XTs are no longer being offered. Unfortunately, I see '18 XT Tourings listed for around 34k which is way too high for the vehicle. Maybe next year if there are some around with only 4k miles, but I doubt that. Since there are still '17 XTs Tourings with low mileage going for under 30k, these dealers need to get that number closer to 30-31.

The interactions I've had, is they seem to be playing off the fact that they can get demand for a turbo engine that isn't being pushed out anymore. Kind of sad, actually. I just hope folks aren't actually paying 34-35k for 1 year old cars with 5-10k miles on them. I noticed one dealer actually tacked on an additional $2500 simply because a 2nd similar one sold 2 days prior (I understand the economics of supply and demand, and competing for sale price - just noting how extreme they are playing with the XT price).

I'm trying to resist the FOMO urge regarding the XT tourings, and strictly look at it analytically. My conclusion is that I won't drive it off the lot for more than 31k, but preferably at 30k. It's been tough sledding :p

#19 ·
I over paid for my 2018. I spent hours at the dealer negotiating the price. But I wanted a 6 speed, and this was the only 6MT Forester within 500 miles. So I ended up paying $20500, plus document fees and tax, for a 2018 Base Model with 10K miles on it. If I had wanted a CVT, I would have walked or bought new. Wish I would have started shopping last Year, I could have proably gotten the same car for the same price new or even cheaper. BTW, they started out asking $22500, which is crazy because it stickered for $22,795 new!

You are the same boat, since they don't offer the XT any longer either.

But the end of the day, you have to decide is it worth it to you to have that car.

Best place online to search for cars IMHO, is https://www.cargurus.com/ . They will tell you if the car has a clean car fax, how many days it's been on the market, if price has been changed and if the price is cheap, fair or high based on what simular cars have been sold for.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.