Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 Forester XT with 135,000 miles, I purchased the car new and have always performed regular maintenance and oil changes. The car is my baby.
On a recent freeway drive I heard a "pop" followed what sounded like a shredding accessory belt. This went on for several miles with diminishing power. There was zero smoke from the exhaust.
I managed to coax it into the nearest Subaru dealership. They diagnosed a bad AVCS solenoid, with P0011 error code. They charged me $2200.00 to change the solenoid and clean all the oil feed lines! While they were at it, I had them clean the banjo bolts, as this had never been done. The engine was removed from the vehicle for them to complete the work.
Today I went to pick it up, it started right up and idled fine. When I pulled onto the highway and accelerated TONS of blue smoke was coming from the exhaust and it had zero power. Before this the car burned one quart every 3,000 miles.
I'm at a loss as to what to do. The car is not driveable at this point.
I hate to point fingers, but what could the dealership have done for this to happen?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
$2200 to change the solenoid and clean the filters? That is crazy man.
A solenoid runs about 200 bucks,maybe less..can't remember what I paid for mine on my 04. The banjo bolt screens are all located on top ob the engine and shouldn't require the engine to be pulled at all. The banjo bolt screens should have been removed all together. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they pulled a fast one on you and I suggest taking the car back to them asap.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
My guess would be that your timing belt jumped by a tooth or more.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They still have the car. Any idea why all the blue exhaust smoke?
Yes, I did get taken for a ride. But I need some guesstimates as to what the problem could be.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't think a jumped timing belt would cause excessive oil burn. Before the dealership got a hold of it, it burned zero oil.
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
Yea, get a lawyer, and take your Subaru to a PROPER Subaru person (dealers are NEVER good places to get work done at, they hire the lowest of mechanics for the most part)

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of sh*t am I going to be in if I go and trailer my Subie away without paying the bill?
Again, the car is NOT driveable at this point.

·
Administrator
29,432 Posts
That's asking for legal trouble. The dealership can hold you car as collateral until the bill is paid. Why would you not pay? Were you not given a quote that you signed off on before they performed the repairs?

FWIW, I once worked for a tour operator that kidnapped a bunch of their own vans from a local body shop after a disagreement with the shop owner (without settling the bill), and it resulted in a messy lawsuit.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't pay because they charged me $2200.00 and my car is NOT driveable!
If they would have resolved the problem I would happily pay them.
They haven't, and want to charge me more.
No I did not get a written estimate, only verbal.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
What was the dealers response to why the car is now all of the sudden smoking when it wasn't before?

Secondly, I have NEVER heard of having to remove the engine to clean the screens and replace an AVCS solenoid. Not only that, but it takes all of 10-20 minutes to change an AVCS solenoid (I've done it before), and the screens take less time than that. The only screen that takes maybe an hour to get to is the turbo oil feed screen. I would try to work with the dealer and find out what is now wrong with it.

If they are unable or are giving you the runaround, call Subaru of America and file a compliaint. SOA will contact the dealer to find out what is going on.

FYI for next time. If you hear something pop and the car starts running oddly, pull over and turn the car off IMMEDIAETLY. I don't understand why people try to limp their cars to a dealer or service shop. All they end up doing is continuing to do excess damage to their cars by doing so. An $80 tow is much cheaper than doing thousands more in damage to continuing to run the engine that something obviously went wrong on.

·
Administrator
29,432 Posts
What Blue Fox said... Also, this may be a good time to lodge a complaint with corporate (1-800-SUBARU3). This dealership seems very shady.

·
Registered
2004 subaru forester xt automatic
4 Posts
Dealership Mechanics

I hope they fix that blue smoke...wow....
Ive stopped going to the Subaru Dealership in South Florida,so expensive and the work isnt top notch I know for a fact.
Does anyone know of any good subaru mechanics in the Miami Florida area?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts