Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The little crack in my windshield is now big and right through my line of vision, so it looks like a new windshield. The bummer is I wasn't careful in getting my insurance, so I have $500 deductible. Oh well.

Any advice on getting a new windshield? OEM or aftermarket? Can I get it without the blue tinting at the top?

Thanks,
Cole
'05 XT PP

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
Check around. There are 3rd party installers who will "waive" the deductable or greatly reduce it.

·
MY BBEAST
2016 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5i AUTO-MATIC
714 Posts
Over here in the valley (SFV) So.California
$175.00 installed(OEM)

subforry said:
Hi all,

The little crack in my windshield is now big and right through my line of vision, so it looks like a new windshield. The bummer is I wasn't careful in getting my insurance, so I have $500 deductible. Oh well.

Any advice on getting a new windshield? OEM or aftermarket? Can I get it without the blue tinting at the top?

Thanks,
Cole
'05 XT PP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dizizjake,

Tell me more about that $175 installed. I am currently in Hermosa Beach, CA.

The dealer in Long Beach quoted me something around $850.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife just had a new windshield installed this month on our 03 Forester for $215 at Clear Glass Auto in Helena Montana. She checked at least 6 places in Helena for a quote and the next cheapest was $267, so check around. An $850 dealer quote is insane. The typical dealer is out to screw people on the cost of add-ons, parts, maintenance, and labor for repairs. I never go to a dealer unless I can't get the part or have the work done elsewhere.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Times change I suppose, but judging by the prices, I'd guess the windshield repair guys haven't...it used to be that the windshield repair guys and the insurance guys set it up so that the charge was always for two windshields, as in the old days, with more difficult installations, windshields frequently broke during an install.
These days, when a guy can come out in a van, do the job in your parking lot at work in an hour or so. I'm guessing that the same old practice is in place, even though today's install doesn't involve the same kind of installation at all.
I just had my FXT windshield replaced last week...had I had it done in Arizona with our Allstate insurance, it would not have cost us a cent more than the $23 dollars a year, no-deductible windshield coverage. Here in Alaska, it cost us the deductible ($250). If you live where tires are studded, or the winter roads are cindered or sanded, you're likely to make good on lower deductible rates...
-Quick (folks better stay clear of me these days, I'm dodging those tire flung gravels!)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I think the 850$ price is for the factory windshield with the wiper defrosters.

And to the thread starter, Safelite offers a repair service for 50$ and if it fails to hold, they will apply that towards a windshield. My repair has held up well so far. I had it done when the chip was about 1/3" or so.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got the PPG replacement that is (as far as I can tell) the same as the Subaru version with defroster, etc. installed for $489. $11 under my deductible...:(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has the wiper heaters.

As to repair, the crack is about 12 inches long, I don't think repair is posible at this time.

But funny part of this story is that when retruning from the Mojave Desert (the trip that made the 2 inch crack into 12 inches), another rock chipped the windshield. So I am very happy I didn't get it fixed before the trip.

turbo charged rock (not chick) magnet.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
12 inches is pushing it when trying to repair a crack. Usually they do the "dollar bill" method. I got a new windshield replaced for 250, though I don't have the heating element.

My experience with insurance from what they told me, first off, they will cover the cost of repairing a chip/crack, and doesn't change your insurance bill since they dont' really count it as a claim, however, they said it was a different story with replacing the whole windshield...

A 500.00 deductable is reasonable.. considering if i remember mine is somewhere around 1000

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Let me make a phone call to the dealership. How soon do you need it?
Btw, pm me w/ur info, yr/make/model/point of contact.

subforry said:
dizizjake,

Tell me more about that $175 installed. I am currently in Hermosa Beach, CA.

The dealer in Long Beach quoted me something around $850.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Was that $240.00 for one with the heating elements. I forgot about those in my windshield and will need to remember that when it has to be replaced.

·
MY BBEAST
714 Posts
Yes. Thats why anyone who needs a windshield , please call the number and talk to the guy.

Silverbullet555 said:
Was that $240.00 for one with the heating elements. I forgot about those in my windshield and will need to remember that when it has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XP
12 Posts
Got my windshield with defroster replaced yesterday. It cost me $223.00. My car is 99 Forester S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts