Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would I splice into to send this signal to my GPS unit? Would I go directly to the ECU (where is it even located?) or would I tap into the gauge cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Edit, while I am thinking of it, I also need to tap into the reverse signal to trigger my backup camera, does anyone know the best way to do this?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Can you explain why you need the speedo signal wired to your gps?

For reverse camera I belive hooking up power from the wires going to the reverse lights if you get what I mean
Good luck

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
I'm sure there's a switch somewhere down in the shifter that senses when you're in reverse, but an easy and sure fire way to get a reverse signal is to tap into one of the backup lights and run a wire back up front through the cable trays that go under the door sills on both sides. They are very easy to get to, starting in the spare tire compartment and continuing under the pop-off plastic cover on each door sill. Then run the wire up behind the trim in the front footwells.

I can't help you with the speedo signal. What does your GPS need this for anyway? It's already capable of knowing how fast you're going--even better than the speedometer, since it doesn't care about tire size! And I would imagine that this signal could be quite vehicle-specific.

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The GPS can use the speed pulse signal (VSS signal based on the rotation speed of the tire, if this car has that) to figure out how far you have gone if it loses the satellite signal. Just makes it more accurate. For example:

If you are driving on a freeway in a tunnel network and need to take an exit. In Seattle there are quite a few of these, my GPS can't locate a signal and thus I have a lose of directions. With the speedo sensor, it can figure out how far you have traveled on your current route since it last had contact with the satellite and still give you directions as long as you do not take a wrong turn (unable to reroute if it doesn't know where you are). Or so that is how I understand it from the manual and also from threads online about this unit.

For the reverse, I guess I can run a cable all the way back, I was hoping to tap into it closer. No big deal though.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Can you give the details of the GPS unit in question, and the input specs. I have never seen a GPS that can take a speed input. Different car manufacturers use different sensor for their Vehicle Speed Sensor and are not usually compatible with each other, so I doubt that there is a GPS that is compatible with every vehicle. If your GPS does have a speed input, the signal will probably have to be converted so the GPS can use the Data OR the GPS manufacturer would have there own speed sensor accessory that you would have to install in your vehicle.

Some GPS's can OUTPUT serial ANSII in a NMEA Output data standard, which can be read by a computer, PDA or other mapping device.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Never heard of a GPS doing that, but never needed that either so oh well. Anyway, there's a lot of videos on Youtube showing how to install a reverse camera. You wire the camera into one of the reverse lights and it's that easy. Just search installing a reverese camera on Youtube.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
Been there done that. Here's my install in an 06.
Good job, Todd. I don't think I saw that the first time around.

Do you still have your antennas on the roof? My XM antenna works fine on top of the metal flap at the front of (and underneath) the sunroof, and I've used a GPS antenna up there too. Doesn't draw attention from the bad guys.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
I've had to connect a VSS to a GPS before, but it was once, and a long time ago and I thought that they were all that way back then and not so much anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts