Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Touring Hatchback, CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks I’ve been running a Magnaflow glasspack in place of the OEM resonator and there was no difference in sound. This past weekend I brought the car in and had the OEM muffler replaced with a Magnaflow 11224. It sounds alright but is a lot louder than I was expecting, especially up to about 2500 RPM (very deep and lots of drone). After 2500 RPM and on the highway it sounds nice and smooth and no drone. At idle it sounds great too.

I called the muffler shop today and they no longer have the OEM one they cut off so I’m looking for a way to quiet it down a bit. Do you think it would make much difference if I replaced the Magnaflow glasspack with a Magnaflow 10424 muffler (looks straight through but may muffle the sound a bit more than the glasspack)?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,513 Posts
Perhaps you need to go with a resonator & not a glasspack. Glasspacks are straight through. Resonators have baffles to break up the exhaust coming out, making it quieter & reduced droning.

When I had the stock resonator removed, I had the muffler shop install an aftermarket resonator. It looks like a glasspack, but it looks different inside.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
40,513 Posts
Resonators have louvers & are directional, whereas glasspacks usually have a perforated screen & aren't directional.

A glasspack muffles the exhaust sound & offers little restriction to the exhaust flow. Resonators are tuned... with the louvers to prevent droning. The down side is that the louvers can restrict the exhaust flow. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,513 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
I will agree with you 95%. I added 2 glasspacks to my previous Foz. No glasspacks was loud and droning. Having 1 glasspack greatly quieted it down, and reduced some drone. Glasspack #2 did help reduce noise a little bit more, but not as noticeable as adding the first. And a little more of drone was reduced. But still wasn't perfect by any means.

But I think an actual resonator like you mentioned will probably do more of the desired tricks Shane_C wants. 😄

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
He did mention droning and noise, so I guess he'll need to decide. I know he went with a glasspack to reduce ice accumulation. Droning might be a nagging thing now. Unless he just wants more quiet now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've decided to get rid of the Magnaflow muffler. I liked the sound of it on the highway and at idle but that was about it. On cold starts it was loud and deep enough to rattle some of the windows in the house and it droned pretty heavy at certain RPM's. I am keeping the glasspack on though because the reason for that was to try and prevent ice build up in the winter.

The exhaust place no longer had the OEM muffler they cut off so I've made an appointment for Friday to have a Walker one put on and was told it's a factory replacement part and should be as quiet as it used to.

Money wasted. Lesson learned.

·
Administrator
40,513 Posts
Sorry to hear you're giving up on the Magnaflow muffler. :frown:

We have a 11255 on all our vehicles & they sound very good. Not too loud & no droning. It's hard to believe the 4" shorter length of the 11224 makes that much difference.

I know you've made your decision, but I'm still leaning towards you needing a resonator.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
The difference between not having an exhaust tip and having one was huge! And that was about 4". And I didn't think that resonator was a bad price either for stainless. Should be enough room to install the resonator in addition to the existing glass pack. Let us know how the new Walker muffler is. And it isn't Friday yet, still time to change your mind. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll keep you posted on the Walker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts