Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:biggrin: I've PM'd the site vendors too just so you know..

our subbie has been a victim of a hit and run banana head and i'm looking for places to get/buy body parts/panels and other collision components from. Does anybody know a good store (online or vendor wise) that carries genuine replacement parts that has the most competitive prices?

Please advise when you can.. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
The cheapest solution would be to hit any of the many part out threads, but as far as new genuine parts the dealers on here are your best bet.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
i have some stuff from an 05, but big stuff will be $$ to ship. he smallest thing that I have is a new Driver's side headlight assy.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be going around tomorrow to look for a good repair shop that wont cut corners and use cheapo parts that are sub standard just for them to make a good profit. By the end of the day i should have a solid list of what i need.

I definitely need a new passenger side fender and door shell as those two got cracked and crumpled. Also the molding assemblies on the right side.

I'll keep this updated as much as I can.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
OEM body panels are pretty much going to be a dealer-only item. I'd be shopping for used if I were you. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is the most effective tool out there. A door should not be hard to source, but fenders are tough. Most cars get hit in the front. Those that don't, yards usually want to sell the front clip complete.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've got a list of what i need and didnt get a picture of the damage since i ran out of daylight by just doing errands and spending time on the road. I'll take some tomorrow after school and add them here.

Stuff I need:
- Right Front Fender
- Right Front Fender Liner
- Right Front Door Shell
- Right Fender Molding (the moldings look like these: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f103/6056d1179111504-gray-forester-pictures-fxt2.jpg)
- Side View Mirrors with Turn Signals un-heated (need a pair)

Info:
Vehicle: 2006 Subaru Forester X
Color: bought from dealership as Crystal Grey Metallic but VIN pops up as Silver sometimes :icon_question::icon_question:

Hook me up people! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ran out of daylight again but here's a couple of pics:

Damaged side:

Drivers side for reference:

I cant seem to figure out what kind of door molding I have. The online genuine parts store lists a variety of models to choose from but does not have any details on them :icon_question:

It says:

We found 9 sub categories. Please click on one to continue.

Clip, l.l. bean, Packing, Protector, Spacer, X, X xs and xt, Xs l.l. bean, Xs xt

Which one applies to the one i have? I dont know if the base X model comes with a certain type of molding or do i have another models molding installed on mine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out that i have a "C10" trim code.. still looking around to find out what that means..

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Hey Carl,

Saw you PM just now..
Here's a few part numbers:

Right front fender: 57110SA0409P - MSRP $199.99 - SGP $146.36
Right front door shell: 60009SA1219P - MSRP $599.95 - SGP $439.16 (price differs slightly by specific year)
Right front door molding: 91112SA320 (unpainted, no painted types in stock) - MSRP $124.33 - SGP $91.01
Mirrors (I'm assuming you are CGM): Right - 91071SA141MJ - MSRP $239.95 - SGP $190.28 | Left - 91071SA151MJ MSRP $239.95 - SGP $190.28

One question: Fender liner.. I'm assuming your speaking of the black plastic sheet that guards against mud/dirt/water in the wheel wheel? Or are you trying to buy the piece between the fender and the rocker molding?

Dang the X5 ran from THAT? What a douche.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does "CGM" mean? wait, is that Crystal Grey Metallic? yeah, my paint code says 48W.

Yep, the fender liner is the one that goes around the wheel well area like a splash shield.. it seems to be intact and just pushed out of place so we might re-use that..

It looks like the door molding is the same for the l.l. bean, XS and XT models huh? Atleast now i know :biggrin:

Thanks Neoshi!

-yep, the X5 driver just drove away as fast as it could.. lucky for it, (don't know if it's a he or a she so it falls under "it") that it didnt end up hitting me and my truck with the heavy tube bumpers on it.. if i can easily tackle rocks and trails with those (and smoosh flat a walmart shopping cart-it was dark and i honestly didnt see it) imagine wait it would do to the X5's thin sheet metal and lightweight parts :lol:

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Your paint code is MJ for Subaru and paint shop purposes.

Yep, the door molding is the same across all models. Starting in 06, they were all painted and base models didn't have the plastic look down south.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great, thanks again..

i have two shops in mind and both of them are very willing to accept bring in parts as long as i can provide proof that i did not steal them or acquired them illegally :lol: anyway, one shop uses PPG paint and the other shop uses DeBeers paint.. both are waterborne tech systems in compliance with Jan 09 CA laws.. is there a specific brand of paint that is preffered to be used with our subarus?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
lol gosh so strict but i guess that's good when someone steals a lip and tries to repaint it.

i think debeers > ppg but they're both good brands. the debate is often amongst debeers, hok and ppg, but nobody really can say who is REALLY the best. what is the price difference?

oh and there's always dupont. how could i forget dupont? :p also, iirc, hok and debeers are the same parent company, so i wouldn't be surprised if they share some characteristics.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there's not really any difference at all with the pricing.. i dont know if you've heard of the shop but it's called "new life auto body" in fullerton.. they use the debeers system and works on a lot of german and luxury cars.. the other is "cone collision" also in fullerton and they use PPG and they were reffered to me by rennick subaru as they take all their cadillacs and subarus for repair.. PPG was around $10 more than the DeBeers based on the estimate sheet they gave me.. i spent a whole day driving around shops and these two did right by my book..

and just to let you know, one shop in garden grove called "OC Autobody" is one that i would not recommend despite their rave reviews online.. i think i spoke with one of the managers there (guy named john) and the conversation was sort of hostile right from the start.. basically, questions bother him and he snapped back at me when i asked for a written estimate saying that i dont need one from them since i have one already from my insurance :huh: talks on the phone too while talking to me.. i've known customer service all my life and this guy is what we call a "blind rookie" .. i just thanked him for his time and left since i could barely understand his english..

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
heh i see i see. well i suppose it comes down to whoever you seem to trust the most. i know ferrari uses PPG so it seems decent, though people have been bashing it's declining quality (mostly bang for the buck kind of talk i suppose). i think my rear bumper was done with PPG and it came out with a very slight blue hue, but that has more to do with the painter than the paint i believe.

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
The labor cost to replace the door shell/skin is going to pretty high, unless you're going to do it. Buying a used door from a junk yard would probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i bought new ones already and they should be at my doorstep within the week.. installing these would be a piece of cake but i'm concerned on getting the paint properly blended in around the hood and rear quarter panel so it doesnt stick out.. plus having a shop do the install can save me the headache of a poor panel alignment :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts