Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow BAers,

I'm planning on doing the headlight mod this weekend, and was wondering if anyone has a heat gun I could borrow. Although we have an oven, I'm not comfortable with baking the headlights.

And I promise to return the tool the same day, or I will wash and wax your car for free. lol

Thank you in advance.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Do you have a harborfreight in your area? They are on slae for $5.99 right now.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sea-scooby.

Thanks for the heads up! There's a new branch a cross the bay in Berkeley. If I can't find one to borrow, I might as well pick one up.

Thanks again for the sale alert. I really appreciate that. :Banane35:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
It's not a project if you don't get a new tool out of it!

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
+1 for harbor freight for infrequently used tools. I have the latest e-mail with the dual temp heat gun on sale for $7.99 (regular price is $19.99). Not sure where the coupon is for $5.99, but I did just throw away the latest ad from this month. I can check if it's still in my recycle bin.

Let me know if you want it.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I got a coupon book in the mail with it for $5.99, but I used it. It might be a mailing list coupon and not the regular ad coupon. $7.99 is still a decent deal.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
378 Posts
nice! +1 for h'freight as well. when i got my heat gun a few years back i got it there for $9.99

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
WOW there's a HF in the Bay now??! I CAN TOTALLY MOVE BACK NOW!! LOL

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I think there's more than just one... we have one here in Santa Rosa.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
:> I need to open my eyes more. Asian eyes are just too tough to open. o_-

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a project if you don't get a new tool out of it!
Can't argue with that. :lol:

+1 for harbor freight for infrequently used tools. I have the latest e-mail with the dual temp heat gun on sale for $7.99 (regular price is $19.99). Not sure where the coupon is for $5.99, but I did just throw away the latest ad from this month. I can check if it's still in my recycle bin.

Let me know if you want it.
Hey lickwid. Thank you very much for the offer. Very kind of you. I've searched around other forums and noticed a few Toyota guys used the hairdryer method with positive results (albeit time-consuming). I think I'm going to give this route a shot since the risk of melting/screwing up is low.

Thanks again, and maybe I'll get to say hello to you in person at this event?

As Silke mentioned, there's one in Santa Rosa. For the likes of me, I've confused the new IKEA in Berkeley with HF... :crazy:

There isn't one in the SF Bay Area. Sorry. lol

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
Hey lickwid. Thank you very much for the offer. Very kind of you. I've searched around other forums and noticed a few Toyota guys used the hairdryer method with positive results (albeit time-consuming). I think I'm going to give this route a shot since the risk of melting/screwing up is low.

Thanks again, and maybe I'll get to say hello to you in person at this event?
There's one in Newark/Fremont area. If you're coming down to Wheeldude for that event, you should swing by there to pick up some tools. There's a good chance I'll be out of town that weekend as it's my birthday that Friday. Last one in the 20's, so I'll have to go out with a bang.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Mmm but the seal produces an odor (at least the OEM stuff does.. old stuff is totally scraped off, new stuff bought from Nissan).. I'm not sure I'd do it in the food oven and if you have only one oven, hence heat gun.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's one in Newark/Fremont area. If you're coming down to Wheeldude for that event, you should swing by there to pick up some tools. There's a good chance I'll be out of town that weekend as it's my birthday that Friday. Last one in the 20's, so I'll have to go out with a bang.
Will do. Thanks! Here's an early happy leaving the 20's B-Day cheers to you. :Banane35:

The 20's were back in the 90's for me. :lol:

just use an oven on low temps.. bakes it evenly then
Yeah, like neoshi said - the odor. Plus I honestly don't trust the oven. We haven't use the old thing since we moved in (2 years ago). One of the burners shorted and blew a hole while we stir-fry recently. My confidence in this thing is shot. lol

·
Registered
03 WRX
525 Posts
Mmm but the seal produces an odor (at least the OEM stuff does.. old stuff is totally scraped off, new stuff bought from Nissan).. I'm not sure I'd do it in the food oven and if you have only one oven, hence heat gun.
I hear ya.. did mine in the oven.. never smelt at all (wrx).. baked till it was pliable, painted ran some new sealer.. reheated and set..

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Heat-gun for the headlamps? You don't need a heat-gun at all. I've taken mine apart a few times, and just use a couple of putty knives to aid in pulling it apart evenly.

Now, I did have to bake my headlamps for my motorcycle, but I just baked them at 200-degrees for about 8 minutes until they get hot to the touch, then just pulled it apart. But even with heat, my motorcycle headlamps were more difficult that the Foz's headlamps without heat.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heat-gun for the headlamps? You don't need a heat-gun at all. I've taken mine apart a few times, and just use a couple of putty knives to aid in pulling it apart evenly.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you very much for sharing your experience & input! I would probably use the hairdryer as planned to aid with the task.

I could only hope it'll go smoothly as it did for you come this weekend. I'll post the cheers and jeers, of course.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And there it is. Everything went smoothly with little drama. The most difficult part was dealing with the bumper removal. The top fasteners were a brisk. The side ones in the fender wheel well were a bit of a pain (see here in MikeyMike's how-to - big thanks to the man btw). Some cussing and pressing before they came off. Time to invest in a good panel removal set. After that, a firm pull and the bumper skin just falls forward as depicted.

As for the headlamps themselves, they came apart with little fuzz. Blue Fox is correct, these things aren't difficult to deal with at all. I did, however, use a hairdryer to aid with the process just in case. I took my time and slowly pry the assembly apart - hairdryer in one hand, flat head screwdriver in the other.

Note: I remember someone mentioned that newer years uses different sealing compound (black). Whether that's true or not, the 3M substance on mine is white. The texture is a reminiscence of them wall crawler toys or soft marshmallow. I was expecting a gooey mess, but that wasn't the case. Then again, it could be because of the low heat. Regardless, the substance was easy to deal with - zero mess.

Anyways, here's the finished result:

My only concern now is how they will do in the wet. We're expecting rain tomorrow, so I'll find out soon enough. Hopefully the original compound would hold. If not, I will have to remove & reseal them again. I'm not worry though. Now that I know exactly what to do, it shouldn't take more than 30 min (if that).

Big thanks to everyone again for your suggestions & input.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Love it, looks so much cleaner with the black housings!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts