Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have recently slapped some Tein S-Tech sprins onto my stock FXT struts. I know that sooner then later the struts will just plain blow out due to the amount the vehicle was lowered (2.25"). These springs were made to originally compliment the Forester STI which obviously comes with a entirely different suspension setup. My question is other than direct "take-off" from the Forester STI, what other struts are compatible with these springs so that the ride will become slightly stiffer as well as work with the Tein springs without blowing out the struts. Maybe there is a KYB factory replacement strut for the JDM Forester STI? Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
dude i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those are the worst springs you could have bought and will be the quickest to blow out your struts... sell them if you can and get something better... ie: spt pinks, prodrive reds, tanabe gf210s, swift spec-rs, RCE blacks or yellows...

and any of the springs i mentioned including the ones you own will require impreza struts. id look @ kyb gr2s, tokicos or konis...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah those springs aren't going to work all that well on any struts. If you want to stay with forester specific struts you're basically limited to the FSTI pinks or the forester swift springs. Anything else will be impreza based.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know these springs were not the "best" choice. I wanted to have the car lowered
to where I thought I wanted the ride height and then plan from there. Basicly I might be thinking of doing WRX strut?springs. If I want this same ride height but with a WRX setup, what would I be looking for in regards to springs. I also want to get a stiffer ride because these springs are way to soft. Dont get me wrong, I want a smooth ride but need a bit more sport too.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'll echo the above saying the s-techs aren't know for being a great spring for any car. You are much better off with OEM STi or WRX springs over your choice of Impreza struts, sedan WRX takeoffs being the cheapest solution. You can look into WRX-fitment GR2s, but stock Impreza struts are already made by KYB anyway. GR2s will be 10-15% stiffer and can be purchased new. From there, the price and performance goes up.

Ride height will be somewhat dictated by spring rates and damper valving. It all has to match. Ideally, you'd pick the struts first and build around them.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
You might want to take a look at '04 Impreza STI take offs plus a 1" spacer. That should net you around a 2.5" drop. You can usually find a full set with top hats for a pretty good price. Just remember to replace the grease while they are off the car!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
As far as I know, they are the same engineers that designed the Prodrive springs. I've emailed them once about their STi springs and got the impression they are pretty much same as the discontinued red Prodrive springs. See if you get get the spring rates out of these guys, Prodrive would never disclose the rates for some strange reason, just said "25% stiffer than USDM STi".

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I'd heard that too,
Dan and Armin are the two guys there,
Armin just got back saying that there are a handful of Foresters using their springs.. maybe I need a new thread. :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Yeah, I know these springs were not the "best" choice. I wanted to have the car lowered
to where I thought I wanted the ride height and then plan from there. Basicly I might be thinking of doing WRX strut?springs. If I want this same ride height but with a WRX setup, what would I be looking for in regards to springs. I also want to get a stiffer ride because these springs are way to soft. Dont get me wrong, I want a smooth ride but need a bit more sport too.
i mentioned all of the good option springs in my first post. if you think the stechs arent stiff enough, there is no spring out there that will fill your void. a stiffer adjustable strut might help but i think you should be looking @ coilovers. which IMHO will be overkill, but hey it's your car.

b4 we go there, what are you doing w/ your car? track/auto-x or just daily driving w/ shenigans? because i think its more of a want situation then a NEED in your case...

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm building a daily driver. I think part of my disappointment lies with in the stock forester struts. I"ve thought about this for the last couple of days and feel as if I switch to WRX gr2 wagon struts with STI pink springs I might find what I'm looking for. Here is the last kicker. I'm sitting on 18x9.5 Rota g-force wheels so going much lower than 2.5 will not work well due to fender rub so.......

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
the gr2s and pinks would be a much better setup then what you have currently.

hellalfush aye... the springs will be too soft for anything but str8 line, when you make a turn itll rub. id stick to a18x9, that extra .5 is going to make you run in2 problems! but you already have them so nothing a fender roll/pull cant fix.

what tires are you going to put on those 9.5s? i hope nothing smaller than a 255!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
get coilovers. used coilovers can be had all over nasioc for fairly cheap. you get the ride height you want/need for the wheels and you won't be sacrificing too much comfort if you are already on s-techs

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
I went with a 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza RE 760. I feel if I went any wider there would of been clearance issues with the rears.
you are going to need a roll..regardless. depending on the offset, you might need spacers too

get coilovers. used coilovers can be had all over nasioc for fairly cheap. you get the ride height you want/need for the wheels and you won't be sacrificing too much comfort if you are already on s-techs
true..very devilish but true.:icon_biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts