Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody explain me the basic principals behind the reasons why a gear pops out. And whether those reasons are the same for both front and rear gears. And why would a gear hold fine even a substantial load while at very low speed (~5-10mph) but pops out even while barely loaded (spinning all 4 tires on ice) once the speed reaches ~15, maybe 20mph.

Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
As far as I know, usually gear pops out because of depreciated fork (see picture). It can happend because of wrong oil or often trailer using or something else :)

Ç.Û. Âñÿêîå áûâàåò, ìëèí.

Attachments

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if the rear gear even has a synchro, but nevertheless thanks for the info!

Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Possibly linkage adjustment. Not letting the syncros ingage fully is another possibility. Usually if this is allowed to continue you will need some parts replaced in the transmission.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
The detent ball, if chipped can do it (number 1 in your graphic), as well as a weakened or broken detent spring. Or the selector shaft itself that the detent ball lodges into. As well as a shifter adjustment, chipped or broken rails, chipped or worn tooth on synchro gear, and those you may not always feel or know they are there unless you do a complete tear down. A worn or bent shifting gear fork. Many many things and yes as simple as the wrong type of lubricant that allows too slippery a surface for the synchro's.
I can't speak directly to the current Subaru 5 speed, but I have been in many other manual transmissions over the last 40 yrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts