Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very frustrating and interesting situation has arisen with me. I couple weeks back if some of you had read about that i hit black ice and wrecked my fozy. Well the state trooper the tow guy and i all thought the car was totaled. Well....The car was not totaled and the insurance is going to fix it back to 100%. Here is my dilemma. Should i go ahead and keep the forester and drive it and mod it like i was planning. Or should i trade it in and just get a new wrx. The body shop gurantees to fix everything and blah blah blah. But...i dont really trust driving a car that has been in a wreck then driving it again. I dont think it will ever be the same again. I would very much appreciate some input/advice.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
If you're not going to be happy with it, then I would sell it and get something you'll be happy with...albeit, maybe a newer forester.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A new forester for me would be nice. Except for the fact that i cant find FXTs with a 5spd at all. They are non existent around here lol

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
it really comes down to how much damage was done, my guess it if they are fixing it there was little or no frame damage, but as it was said if your not happy with driving the car then sell it, just know the vavle is going to be a lot lower

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Depends on the damage. If the rear quarters need replacement or if the frame suffered a hit that can't be repaired 100% then I'd be inclined to lean towards replacement. The problem is, you might take a bath on selling it with collision damage though some states have "diminished value" laws. Keep the car, though, and that becomes a wash.

Got pics of the damage, or at least a rundown from the adjuster / body shop? Either way, let the body shop have their way with it - you might find that they do a fantastic job.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there was around 8500 dollars worth of damage done to the car. The car is worth around 12k....yes i love my fxt and i would love to keep it. Im just worried it will be a money pit. To be honest with you id llloooovvveeee to make it a sleeper. But i just hope the car would be okay. From my understanding a new turbo and some small mods will make it just as fast as an sti. Or i can get the new 2010 wrx.... man this sucks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
IF they have an alignment jig and can guarantee the repair for a reasonable time why not keep it? Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.... where I come from we often hit Kangaroos and have similar levels of damage ... and the repairs are usually satisfactory.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just have this feeling though that the car will never be the same again. Yes they say they can fix it back to new...but i really dont know

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I just have this feeling though that the car will never be the same again. Yes they say they can fix it back to new...but i really don't know
This says it all right here. It doesn't mater if the car is fixed 100%, if you can't get it out of the back of your mind you will never be comfortable with it again.

That being said, before you think too much on this wait until you get it back and drive it before making any choices.

I have driven repaired vehicles before, some were fine "good as new", others not so. It depends on the people doing the work and where the damaged occurred. It may drive as good as new, it may be as safe as new, it may look as good as new but there may also be repair spots visible to you in, on, under the hood, under the car.... Are you OK with that?

Also keep in mind you can test drive the car after the body shop is done with it before taking delivery of it. Any thing you don't like, simply don't accept and don't sign off on any paperwork until it is up to your standards.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Also keep in mind you can test drive the car after the body shop is done with it before taking delivery of it. Any thing you don't like, simply don't accept and don't sign off on any paperwork until it is up to your standards.
This is a good point. The adjuster is supposed to ask you if you are satisfied w/the repair. And since this is way more than cosmetic damage, you will be wanting to give it a thorough road test before saying "yes." I think I would get on the horn w/the adjuster soon and work out with him or her how much time they are going to give you to decide yes or no. In this case, one would think they'd give you more than a day....I'd lobby for at least a week of normal driving before having to give them an answer...worth asking for. Good luck,
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
More then the test drive, have the shop put it on a lift/rack and take a walk under/around it with the techs that were/are doing the repairs even before getting in the drivers seat. I also recommend as part of your test drive to have a time set up with a second body that you can swing into have them put it on the rack and to have them give their second opinion of the repairs. This is where some of the info you collected in your walk around at the shop with the techs doing the repair will help you point out areas of your concern to get a second opinion on.

You are the final say on if you accept it or not, that does not mean you can't seek out side advice by those who are qualified. You may have to pay out of pocket for the second shops time/opinion but it can be worth it. I pushed a coworker to go this route on a Grand Cherokee many years ago. Her second shop disapproved of the repairs, she took their statement back to the first shop and the insurance company to get the items corrected. It ended up being totaled after all this as the mistakes made by the first shop during the repairs would have been too costly to correct. Had she signed any of the paperwork accepting delivery before doing her test drive she would have been stuck with a sub par repair/vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
am i allowed to do that with my insurance company? or am i going to have to pay out of pocket to have another shop look at it?

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
A very frustrating and interesting situation has arisen with me. I couple weeks back if some of you had read about that i hit black ice and wrecked my fozy. Well the state trooper the tow guy and i all thought the car was totaled.
:shake:
If I had a dollar for every time a tow truck guy rendered his opinion...

Okay, so you've got a tow truck guy (there's a career for you) and a police officer (uniquely trained in auto damage assessment--not!) telling you they think your car is totaled. Two know-nothings have planted a seed. We adjusters love this. Let me tell you about the truly totaled BMW a state trooper told a teenage girl it was fine to drive the 3 hours home with the trunk floor nearly scraping the road...

Without knowing the extent of the damage I couldn't render a professional opinion. $8500 is up there, but I'm fixing a boring Chevy Malibu right now that has $13,000 worth of damage. It's worth enough to make repairing it cost effective. And that's really the guiding principle. Anything can be repaired (well, almost), it just depends what the cost is. You're just going to have to leave such a decision to the professionals...the adjuster and the repair shop.

If you are really paranoid about the repair, then yes, take it to another shop and have them give it a look. Shops all love to think they are the best in the town/county/state though, so don't be surprised if they find something they can say "Well, we would have done a nicer job here". That will always be true. What I'd be concerned with is everything straight, welded properly, rust prevention in place and so on. Panel fit and paint quality you should be able to tell yourself. Any shop worth it's reputation will offer a warranty on their work.
The adjuster is supposed to ask you if you are satisfied w/the repair. And since this is way more than cosmetic damage, you will be wanting to give it a thorough road test before saying "yes." I think I would get on the horn w/the adjuster soon and work out with him or her how much time they are going to give you to decide yes or no.
Uhm, not so much. When it's done, you can give it a good look, and maybe ask for a test drive, but you're going to have to make the decision at that point to take it or not (if you find a problem). The adjuster is NOT responsible for the work quality, the shop is. And if you selected the shop (meaning, it's not one the insurer pushed you towards) the adjuster has no obligation other than making sure what he/she paid for was done. The shop won't release the car without payment, and refusing to pick up a finished car (unless you actually find a problem) isn't going to keep you in a rental if you have one.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy GT Lmtd
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a feeling the shop and adjusters are messing with me a little bit. I mean im the one paying for the insurance they work for me. So i believe they should listen to what i have to say. the insurance company said if the cost to repair it is over 65% of what its worth then they will total it out...well there is a hell of a lot more than 65% worth of damage than the car is worth

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a feeling the shop and adjusters are messing with me a little bit. I mean im the one paying for the insurance they work for me. So i believe they should listen to what i have to say. the insurance company said if the cost to repair it is over 65% of what its worth then they will total it out...well there is a hell of a lot more than 65% worth of damage than the car is worth
Ask for more quotes from more repair shops? Oh - and I might add - if you haven't paid more than the value of the car in premiums it's all your fellow insurers who are paying for the repair! :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
IF they have an alignment jig and can guarantee the repair for a reasonable time why not keep it? Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.... where I come from we often hit Kangaroos and have similar levels of damage ... and the repairs are usually satisfactory.
They have kangaroos in Singapore?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
This says it all right here. It doesn't mater if the car is fixed 100%, if you can't get it out of the back of your mind you will never be comfortable with it again.
I agree with this. As mentioned by another member, the seed as already been planted by the tow truck operator and the state trooper. If they hadn't said anything, would you have thought the damage was as bad? Pics would probably help the discussion with us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts