Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm swithing up to a complete 04 STi Strut/Spring setup on my 04 XT.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what size spacers will even out the rear end? I have no other suspension mods.

Thanx,

Adam

UPDATE: March 16, 2010

Thanx to everybody for their advise. I went with 1/2" inch spacers from fastwrx.com. I didn't put the longer studs I ordered in since we were wrapping up the install around 2am.

It's perfectly balanced right now. 1.5" wheel gap front and rear! :Banane17:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
I have the same 04 STI spring struts on my 07xt. I went with the 1/2" spacer. The studs are borderline short to run these. I had to set my car back on the ground to press the studs through enough to start the nuts. Once you get them to bite you can pull the stud all the way through the nut and have full grip, but this is just my case, not to say that it will work on yours necessarily. I know people swap out the studs for longer, but if you don't want to take the chance or don't feel like fooling around, just go with the 3/8" spacer.
The 1/2" made a nice difference. Not a big difference, but just enough to make me feel better.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
i would think a 1/4" spacer would be more than adequate. depending on how bad the sag is anyways...

got a picture of your car?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome! Always good for a quick reply.

I should've put more info in the original post. So here it is:

I just ordered the supension, and want to put the spacers in when I do the install. I won't be running a rear stut bar now, but there is real good chance of running one in the future so I'll probably go with longer studs right off the bat.

Obviously no pic yet since I don't even have the parts yet.

I guess I'm just trying to see what others have done and if they're happy with it. I'd like it to sit level but I'd rather have the rear end a little high, than a little low if it came down to it.

Thanx again.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Going by what you said, and if you're gonna use longer studs anyhow, do the 1/2".
I used Paranoid Fabrications, and everything was smooth. Even quick to respond to email questions.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
I didn't think I would need spacers for the swap I am doing this spring on my 04, but now you guys got me wondering now...

I have a 04 fxt that will get 04 sti struts plus sti crucial race springs (essentially same as jdm STI pinks, but progressive). I didn't think I would sag in the back with these, but now I wonder...

Gurus... chime in...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Thanks for the feedback... In hind-sight, would have you gone with 1/2 spacers on your crucials (I don't mind getting longer studs b/c/ I am already running a rear strut bar) instead of 3/8 ones?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered the 1/2" spacer with longer studs. Fingers crossed.

I'll try to post some good before and after pics some time in March. Thanx for all the input.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Thanks for the feedback... In hind-sight, would have you gone with 1/2 spacers on your crucials (I don't mind getting longer studs b/c/ I am already running a rear strut bar) instead of 3/8 ones?
3/8" looks just right with Crucials and my 225/45/17s. I think any higher would make an obvious gap.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
1/4" + strut bar = yes
3/8" + strut bar = no, need longer studs
1/2" + strut bar = no, need longer studs

and for the longer studs, paranoid is trying threaded holes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts