Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time I get a new set of pads and rotors!

I purchased a set of 08 Brembos (fronts) & 05 LGT's (rears) about a year or so ago w/ used pads/rotors and have put about 15k miles on them.

I am looking for pads that have very minimal dust, good stopping, but don't squeek.

I would entertain the idea of slotted rotors, but am torn between what brand to choose (Pads = brembo, stoptech, project mu, hawk.......Rotors = Brembo, Stoptech, Centric, AP Racing, DBA).

Here is my setup right now:

Front Calipers = 2008 STI Brembos
Front Rotors = 2004 STI Brembo
Front Pads = 2004 STI Brembo

Rear Calipers = 2005 Legacy GT
Rear Rotors = 2005 Legacy GT Stock
Rear Pads = Hawk HPS

I also have the following:

1. Goodridge SS lines
2. Motul Fluid
3. 2007 STI Master Cylinder
4. 2007 STI Brake Booster
5. Cusco Master Cylinder Brace

Please let me know what setup you would all suggest. I do a lot of daily driving (65 miles roundtrip to work) and may do an autox in near future.

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 Forester 2.5 XT AT
430 Posts
I order a full set of rotars and pads from www.brakeperformance.com and they are working very well. Not sure if the pads fit the brembos though? I went with the crossdrilled/slotted rotars and the semi-metallic pads, I only clean my wheels maybe once a month and even then they aren't all that dirty.

They have sales every couple weeks it seems like so you might be able to get a good deal.

-D

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
For the past 2 years I've been runnning Porterfield R4-S, its an agressive street pad simular to the HP+. I'm much like you , I want it all without the dust/noise and as you know I autox / track a fair bit. They work very well and are completely quiet, dusting is quite reasonable and normal for any pad, I wouldn't call these dusty like an HP+ by any means. If you wash your car once a week it will never be an issue.

·
Registered
2008 STI 6 Speed
48 Posts
There are many different types of pads to choose from. Such as Stoptech Street performance, Hawk HPS, Hawk HP +, Ferodo DS2500's, and many more. Rotors come in many flavors as well. DBA, Centric, and SP rotors are all great products.

- Joe

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The centric premium rotors are IMO the best option on the market right now. High quality blank rotors that are coated like the higher end ones, and not slotted or drilled. They're also cheaper than even the brembo blanks and MUCH cheaper than DBA. Don't go slotted, I swapped my RB slotted rotors out after a few thousand miles for the centrics and am much happier.

I've been running HPS, but I plan to use the stoptech pads next as I wasn't 100% happy with the quality of the newer sets of hawk pads I've seen.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Stoptech Street Performance, Project Mu B-Force, Ferodo DS2500 are my suggestions for DD. Rotors.. just sand em down heh.

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
ive heard good things about the Ferodo pads.

im currently running Centric posi-quiets, basically an oem replacement, but they are low dust and no noise at all!

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the opinions.

Looks like Stoptech or Porterfield on the pads.

Centrics, Stoptechs, Brembo, or DBA rotors?

Why no slots?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
I have Stoptech/Centric rotors on my forester and like them a lot. High quality rotor, and very reasonably priced.

I have Hawk HPS all around, but they are a bit noisy. Good street stopping power. I think the Ferodo ds2500 would be better suited as a street pad with some track days, but they are $$$. I used to work for the company that makes them and they are a great pad.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Thanks everyone for the opinions.

Looks like Stoptech or Porterfield on the pads.

Centrics, Stoptechs, Brembo, or DBA rotors?

Why no slots?
The slots really just made it less smooth and wore the pads faster, equal to maybe slightly worse stopping power with the slots too. Unless you're going to fancy 2 piece rotors, just get blanks. I'd go centric premium rotors, best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
The slots really just made it less smooth and wore the pads faster, equal to maybe slightly worse stopping power with the slots too. Unless you're going to fancy 2 piece rotors, just get blanks. I'd go centric premium rotors, best bang for the buck.
I always had the mental image of a cheese-grater on my pads with slotted/drilled rotors. Glad others prefer blanks as well.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have Stoptech/Centric rotors on my forester and like them a lot. High quality rotor, and very reasonably priced.

I have Hawk HPS all around, but they are a bit noisy. Good street stopping power. I think the Ferodo ds2500 would be better suited as a street pad with some track days, but they are $$$. I used to work for the company that makes them and they are a great pad.
Are stoptech & centric the same, or different?

The Ferodo's seem to be a great pad. I'm also looking at Porterfields.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I run DBA4000s front and rear with HPS pads. Love the combo...no noise and low dusting...in the winter, the initial bite is a little slower than the warm months, FYI.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
46 Posts
Quote:

"I always had the mental image of a cheese-grater on my pads with slotted/drilled rotors. Glad others prefer blanks as well. "

Ah, but when you are maxing out your braking power, you want a tiny layer of scorched pad and hot air to be skimmed off. Very effective for track use if your brake system is at its limit.

As for my FXT, I seemed to have had good luck with the cheapest offshore brake rotors. I let my pads pretty much wear down, then I change pads and rotors all around. I usually use PBR MetalMasters. Tried PBR Ultimate Ceramic, but they were too dusty and grabby on the street for my tastes, but good on the track. My use is 99% street, with auto-x or track once or twice a year. I don't have much money to spend and this seems to work for me.

For my race Corolla I was satisfied with PBR MetalMasters with rotors that I slotted. Plus plenty of ducted cooling air. Again this was the economical way out.

'04 FXT 5MT

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Stoptech bought Centric a while back... 06?
Stoptech, centric, and iirc powerslot/cryostop or one of those are all owned by the same company. The centric premiums are the nice blanks with the coated hats/nonswept surfaces and are conveniently available on tirerack. You will have minimal if any difference in braking between any of the rotors on the market, so I just go for ones that will hold up well (especially to the salted roads here, so I stay with ones that have coated centers) and are cheap as I replace them every other year. The only time I would spend extra on rotors is for 2 piece if you're tracking it heavily. I do not understand the draw of the dba 4000.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Please let me know what setup you would all suggest. I do a lot of daily driving (65 miles roundtrip to work) and may do an autox in the next 10 years.

^^Fixxored!!!!

Centric rotors & Stoptech pads is my choice for replacement. BTW your rotors should be ok..no?

Stoptech Street Performance, Project Mu B-Force, Ferodo DS2500 are my suggestions for DD. Rotors.. just sand em down heh.

You forgot to mention painting your rusty top hats...hahaha!!!

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
I think the Ferodo ds2500 would be better suited as a street pad with some track days, but they are $$$. I used to work for the company that makes them and they are a great pad.
O-reilly ? Anything interesting you can divulge about them/their pads that isn't common knowledge ?

While I'm perfectly satisfied with the Porterfield's I'm thinking I may give the 2500's a try when my current set wears out just to see what they're like. As you said, Ferodo makes a good pad but its expensive. The 3000, which is their track pad is like $350 for a set of fronts. Cost me $180 for Porterfield R4's . (Note to subtle, those are race pads, you'd want R4-S which is a street pad).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts