Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing chain went on my '05 xt. Dealer I bought it from didn't replace the tensioner bolt when doing the job. 8,000 miles later after warranty is up it went and messed up my engine. Subaru wants $5,000 to fix my engine or $7,000 to replace it new. Anyone have a used engine for sale or know of a good website to find one??? I really could use one asap, as I want to fix this before my wife goes into labor...she is due August 15th and we would love to have the car fixed. Are there any comparable motors that would work with my car without too much hassle??

I will take emails or calls from anybody on this, I can't afford $5,000 right before having a baby and my wife not working!!!
Thanks,
Nate

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Congrats on your soon-to-be new family member!

Did you go after the Subaru dealer that you bought the car from? How do you know that the tensioner bolt was the issue?

This sounds like an issue that the originating dealer has to be held to account for.......Subaru of America is not the likely culprit here.........the dealer MAY be.

Good luck, hope this gets taken care of pronto.

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
My timing chain went on my '05 xt. Dealer I bought it from didn't replace the tensioner bolt when doing the job. 8,000 miles later after warranty is up it went and messed up my engine. Subaru wants $5,000 to fix my engine or $7,000 to replace it new. Anyone have a used engine for sale or know of a good website to find one??? I really could use one asap, as I want to fix this before my wife goes into labor...she is due August 15th and we would love to have the car fixed. Are there any comparable motors that would work with my car without too much hassle??

I will take emails or calls from anybody on this, I can't afford $5,000 right before having a baby and my wife not working!!!
Thanks,
Nate
I just bought a brand new engine FROM Subaru for $1700 and had it installed by a private mechanic. Total bill ended up being about $4k for the engine swap.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
I had a similar problem about 6 months back. I ended up paying about 5000 with parts and labor. Those DOHC motors are not cheap. I had a private shop do it. Best of luck, hopefully your experience is better than mine was...3 months in the shop trying to get parts....fun.

-Joe
2004 Subaru Forester XT

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
I didn't know the XT had a timing chain? When did they change to a belt like mine has?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I didn't know the XT had a timing chain? When did they change to a belt like mine has?
They all have a belt. Only the H6 uses a chain.

Also whats actually wrong with the engine? If it wasn't run too long after the belt broke, the stock shortblock is likely fine and just the heads would need to be rebuilt/replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts