Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as i was working on the foz today i noticed both front cv boots are torn :( but i havent noticed any noise or anything different so i am assuming ill just replace the boots. but the search button has not been very friendly today so if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to remove the axles i would be very appriciative.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've replaced one boot on my 99 Forester. It's not terribly difficult, but terribly messy. You need a long, flat plastic tray to contain the grease that must be flushed from the joint w/ solvent. Note, you will need to disassemble inner CV joint to access the outer joint/boot. There is a retaining clip on the axle at the inner joint that is difficult to remove. Probably takes a special tool, but I managed w/o.

I used a Subaru shop manual as a guide, but any CV axle repair guide would work. Subaru CV axles are same as others.

Get good quality boots and boot straps. Better to replace both boots if you have to access the outer boot. You need the tool to tension/crimp the boot straps.

PM your email address and I'll forward files I have.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
OEM #s

Front inner:
$39
28023AA011 KIT includes boot, grease. clamps(2) & axle nut

Front outer:
$39
28023AC060 KIT includes boot, grease. clamps(2) & axle nut

Part numbers and prices taken from subarupartsforyou.com

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
Taking the axles out is pretty simple:
Remove wheel
Remove pin holding the axles onto the trans stubs(hammer and a phillips screwdriver work very well)
Remove axle nut
Remove both strut/knuckle bolts
Pull axle and knuckle outwards to remove it from trans stub
Pull axle out of knuckle

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all. ill have more updates (maybe with pics?) soon. i wont be working on the cv boots for a couple weeks though as i go to school 250 miles away haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts