Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Standard Shift
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to write a (paper) letter to the top executive at Subaru in charge of warranty policy. Can anyone supply me with his/her name, title and address?

Long story:
My daughter lives way out in the boonies in northern California and for many years has been driving an old four wheel drive pickup truck that keeps breaking down. I recently came into a sizable inheritance and decided to share it with my daughter in the form of a brand new car that would be reliable and not have to worry about it breaking down at inconvenient times. After some research I decided either the Subaru Forester or Toyota Rav4 would fit the bill. Owners of both cars I asked were very positive about both brands. My daughter was insistent that the car have a manual transmission so that ruled out the Toyota.

It now transpires that her new 2014 Forester, now with 3,000 miles, is using a quart of oil every 800 miles. I've bought quite a few new cars and never had any use excessive oil, even during the "break-in" period. The Subaru dealer says they won't even consider excessive oil use until past the 3,000 mile mark. And then the excessive oil issue can't be confirmed until the dealer has witnessed low oil at 800 miles four times in a row.

So, my daughter must return to a dealer four times to have them add a quart of oil. That wouldn't be such a problem for most people. However, the nearest Subaru dealer is 105 miles away and is a 2.5-3.0 hour drive over mountain roads. As a teacher, she can't be taking a day off of work to bring her car to the dealer to have them add a quart of oil. That nearest dealer is not open on Saturday. The nearest dealer that is open on Saturday is located in Oregon 126 miles and 3-4 hours away (each way). So having the dealer add a quart of oil will require 6-8 hours of driving.

Why can't Subaru take her word for it that she is adding a quart of oil every 800 miles? :censored:

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
112 Posts
I can't supply the name of the executive you're looking for, but I will mention that I think this sort of requirement is not unique to Subaru. We were experiencing what I thought was high oil consumption on an Infiniti a few years ago and we were asked to bring the car back to the dealer a number of times over a set interval to confirm the consumption. I imagine the manufacturer insists on confirming the consumption because the remedy is most likely a new engine which is not a small expenditure.

However your daughter's situation does present a real inconvenience and a dilemma for her. I hope you can come to a satisfactory resolution.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
I believe there is legislation that allows you or your daughter to have her car serviced anywhere and the warranty will be honored. I don't see why that wouldn't include having the oil level checked. Maybe you need to put a call into Subaru of America and talk to a rep there.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
This is one thread I am going to kill before it gets out of hand, which it will.

Subaru is a publicly traded company, all the information is out there if one takes the time to look.

Google: Subaru of America

I will tell you right now, you will need to:
A.) start with your local dealer
B.) start by calling 1-800-SUBARU-3, than visit local dealer as directed shortly after
C.) look into your states lemon, return, buyback laws
D.) go down Subaru required diagnostic path

Why can't Subaru take her word for it?

I would like to cash in this $5,000 winning lottery ticket, I'll take my 5 grand now. Oh theres no need to check it, it's legit:icon_rolleyes:

Why because there are always people out there trying to cheat the system that think they are entitled to what ever they want when they want it. You can blame the people who break a piston on their modded, tuned or untuned car and return it to stock and try to slip one by and get it fixed under warranty.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...merged-thread-119562/index60.html#post2475897

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.