Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Forester (2001) recently started bucking when I give it gas. At times it is so bad that I have no power when I depress the gas pedal--then all of a sudden it seems to catch up and take off as if I just floored it!

I've had a general mechanic look at it, but he can't seem to locate the problem. Can anyone out there help? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer and spending a fortune. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
my wifes car has the same problem (stupid ford....) and her dad claims he had it looked at and they diagnosis was that the transmission is going into safe mode. i dunno if that helps any.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Maybe their is someone in the region that will read the codes on it for you for a beer or three, good luck with it and if it were me, I would at least see if you can get any codes from it one way or another.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
My Forester (2001) recently started bucking when I give it gas. At times it is so bad that I have no power when I depress the gas pedal--then all of a sudden it seems to catch up and take off as if I just floored it!

I've had a general mechanic look at it, but he can't seem to locate the problem. Can anyone out there help? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer and spending a fortune. Thanks!!
I would guess that it would be a air/fuel senor. Disconnect it and see if the problem is gone.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it's bucking that should throw a code. Get a scanner and pull it, most auto places have a scanner you can use. I had a somewhat similar problem with my '99 Forester, though it only occurred going up hills. Turns out it was a spark plug wire going bad causing misfires. Doubt that helps you, but pull the code and it'll hopefully point you in the right direction

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
Everything you describe is pointing to a misfire. I had similar issue on a 02 Foz and it definitely had a code. Do you have a rapidly blinking "Check Engine Light" when this occurs?
Are you 100% certain that your Check Engine Light is OK, not burned out?
When you turn the key half way in the ignition do all the message lights on your dash come on? Is Check Engine Light one of them?

This is a serious enough problem to cause the "CEL"/Check Engine light, and thus give you a code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts