Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal i want to put the widest wheels i can on my set up. I have a 2004 forester xt with sti takeoffs perrin sway bars lateral links and end liks. i want the rota 18x10 et30 svn's because of the lip but i dont think they will fit with the struts. i will eventually go with coilovers but for now im sticking with the sti 04 takeoffs.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,751 Posts
My guess is that you'll have to run 245 or larger on those wheels, too wide for 235. The +30 offset is going to put you pretty close to the fenders. I'm running 235/45-18x7.5, +42 offset & I'm nearly flush with the fender.

Have you gone here? Plug in your stock setup on one side & when you want to go to on the other side & read the data to see if it'll work. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
if you must do this, save up and do it right the first time! you will need coilovers, no doubt about it + some fender work. your current suspension setup is not stiff enough... your basically limited to a 9 inch wheel(offset and tire size dependant), anything bigger will be a headache.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
Heres the deal i want to put the widest wheels i can on my set up.. i want the rota 18x10 et30 svn's because of the lip but i dont think they will fit with the struts.
Is this purely for bragging rights ? Cause I'll tell you right now its far from the ideal wheel spec to run on a Subaru. Fitment is going to be a PITA and you're going to run into all sorts of rubbing issues on both the struts & the fender. Put it this way, I have coilovers and it was going to be a huge effort to fit 275's on 17x9 wheels. The rears were rubbing on the coilovers and the tires were sticking out the wheel wells.

My guess is that you'll have to run 245 or larger on those wheels, too wide for 235.
245 is going to be too skinny. 10 inch wide wheel you're looking at 275-305 widths.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All this baffles me too....I know tire compound makes for better traction over width...but Im no expert.

dont get me wrong, wide hella flush yadda yadda looks cool but sometimes its like keeping up with the joneses....whats next? will it be 18x24" or duallys

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
What's the reason? Just the lip?

VW's can stuff a bunch of lip, I hear. Subarus don't do it so well. It takes a LOT of work, and just isn't worth it for the results (unless you can actually justify that much rubber, like someone like Vinny can, where forward traction is a genuine concern)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
All this baffles me too....I know tire compound makes for better traction over width...but Im no expert.

dont get me wrong, wide hella flush yadda yadda looks cool but sometimes its like keeping up with the joneses....whats next? will it be 18x24" or duallys
I agree, but I think it all depends on what your goals are.

Is there a general consensus on where the wheel and tires have gone too big or too wide for improved performance?

I think super wides are sick! But how much performance is compromised for that "look"? If that's what you're going for though, more power to ya!

·
Administrator
38,751 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree, but I think it all depends on what your goals are.

Is there a general consensus on where the wheel and tires have gone too big or too wide for improved performance?

I think super wides are sick! But how much performance is compromised for that "look"? If that's what you're going for though, more power to ya!
I know its a free world and do what makes you happy....but it all boils down to someone will always have a car thats faster, is dumped with 1/2 inch of ground clearance, has a bigger turbo, has wider wheels and is in the 245+ club, and has way more cubic dollars poured into it than you or I will ever have....Im not bashing the OP while posting this...
Looks mean a lot to people I understand, its what everyone sees when you drive by, but dont kid yourself in thinking that wide hella flush is gonna cut 2 seconds off your lap to the grocery store,
People think that making your car look like a time attack car is the shiznit...but ask anyone whos driven a real track car and they will tell you its a deafening, violent, sensory destructing torture machine thats far from civilized and has zero creature comforts...
I guess Im just a function over fashion kinda guy
ok, ranting done.....

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok great thanks for all of your guys input i appreciate it. The real reason i wanted to go that wide was to have the lip but upon more research subarus dont like low offsets like you mentioned. so my next question. I used to run 17x9 ssr with 245/45 and had no rubbing. would i be able to get away with a 18x9 255/35 or 245/40? i like the way a wide stance looks so i want to try and keep it a 18x9 if possible with out problems is that do able?

·
Administrator
38,751 Posts
Curious... how much lip do you want? Take a look at my XXR wheels here & installed here. XXR wheels aren't popular on this forum, but I've lost track of all the compliments I received on these wheels. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Do whatever you want bud. You will get some haters no matter what the mods are but in the end it is your car do as you please. I plan on running the same size wheels that SHOULD be here next week(see my thread in the mods pics section to read the saga)

I on the other hand already have coilovers and have had my fenders rolled and pulled out pretty damn far and don't think it will take a whole lot of more work to make these fit since i ran the same tire last year on a 8.5in wide wheel

It takes a LOT of work, and just isn't worth it for the results (unless you can actually justify that much rubber, like someone like Vinny can, where forward traction is a genuine concern)
you are in fact correct. the 215/50/17 geolanders I am on right now get a little scary when i step on the gas. Does this mean my hellaflush need is acceptable?!?!?!? once these tires are done I want to go up to 275's

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those do look good. I wand to have something different all the wheels i see on subarus are high offset and i wanted to go with a different look with as low as an offset as possible because i dont want that bowed look i would like it to look like a deep dish i guess you could say. sorta like the vw look. just something different

·
Administrator
38,751 Posts
We're running +40 offset on the '03 X with 235/50-17x7 & they're about flush with the fender. I went with 235/45-18x7.5, +42 offset on the '07 FSXT because of the bright lip, which makes a wheels smaller. :wink:

Check out the XXR wheels here. I didn't buy mine there, but it's a good place to research. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Ok great thanks for all of your guys input i appreciate it. The real reason i wanted to go that wide was to have the lip but upon more research subarus dont like low offsets like you mentioned. so my next question. I used to run 17x9 ssr with 245/45 and had no rubbing. would i be able to get away with a 18x9 255/35 or 245/40? i like the way a wide stance looks so i want to try and keep it a 18x9 if possible with out problems is that do able?
I have 18x9 +44 w/245x45 on swifts..rear fenders rolled.
No loud noises or slower car..I still get front wheelspin if not careful....

Next up 18x9.5 w/255x40...only cuz i wanna be a cool dad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts