Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

After having my car for about a week, I've been encountering a few issues.

I tried to link to my other thread about my car, but my computer is not letting me copy and paste. Awesome.

The car is an MY 04 FXT 5MT with 55,000 miles.

Mods:
-APS S/R 40
-Perrin TMIC
-Cobb AP v2 (custom map by Dave @ MSPT)
-Cobb TBE
-Swifts / KYB GR2s

Driving around town the car is great - runs perfectly. When I'm driving on a highway or a parkway and I'm cruising at 65-70 mph, the car will sometimes shudder violently and the steering wheel will shake. When this happens, I'll pull over and let the car idle for a minute and then the car will run fine.

The first time it happened I had power cuts (dash lights went on and off and the radio cut in and out) and when I hooked up the AP later, I had four error codes, in order misfire cylinder 1, misfire cylinder 2, misfire cylinder 3, misfire cylinder 4.

When it happened twice today, I had no CELs and I'm not sure if the power cut out because I didn't have my headlights on and the radio was off.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Loose alt belt maybe and/or fuel filter, misfire on ll cylinders could also be a bad coil pack.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loose alt belt maybe and/or fuel filter, misfire on ll cylinders could also be a bad coil pack.
I only received misfire codes the first time it happened. The second time it happened, I received no error codes on the AP whatsoever.

I initially thought plugs and coilpack issue, but with no misfires on incident #2 and #3, I'm thinking it might be something else.

I called the place that tuned my car and they told me to reset the ECU and datalog next time I drive it under similar circumstances.

It's frustrating, because during normal around-the-town driving the car is running like a top.

Thanks for your input, guys!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doh!

Turns out that I inadvertantly brought this problem upon myself.

I had the methanol pump switch on, which was causing the methanol to be injected despite the car being specifically tuned for pump gas. Compression dropped, too much fuel, flooded, chaos, repeat.

The guys at MSPT diagnosed the car in about 20 minutes. It never even occurred to me that the meth could be a troublemaker if the car was tuned for pumpgas. I was fearful of nozzles clogging, tanks running empty, etc, but never did I think about this scenario.

Anyway, I figured I'd let you guys know the cause.

Thanks for the input that I received.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts