Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2003 forester 2.5X it's a great car interios is clean it will be a fun project to work on. The only problem is that it wont shift into 5th gear easily, the clutch was just replaced before I got it and I'm told that he didnt have this problem before, I'm thinking it might be a bad throw out bearing or the shifter linkage is worn out . I'm also thing the transmission might be bad it does have 250k miles on it. But all the other gears are smooth, except for reverse it's a bit sticky. Just need help from anyone I'm new to subarus and just need to know what to do .

·
Registered
249 Posts
if all other gears are smoothly shifting, then it is unlikely to be anything except shifter accuracy or 5th gear ,either the gear teeth or the synchro , adjust the shifter and eliminate loose /slop first, as long as it doesn't jump back out of 5th gear then it only be fork or synchronizer if the adjustment doesnt fix it, obviously check oil first thing asap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After all the research I did i thought it might be the synchros too. It pops out of 5th ,and now 4th too, it might need to be adjusted the fluid was just replaced in it. I have the chance to pick up a tanny with 40k miles on it thought so I might just do that. But I'll definitely try adjusting it and replacing the shifter linkage to eliminate any slop if that helps then I've saved 750 bucks. Thanks for the info btw I appreciate it , it would be nice to get her running smoothly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts