Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $2000 and 500 subaru bucks to spend on mods.

Its on a 04 FXT Auto.

I currently have TBE and Boost Gauge.
Im spending the 500 subaru bucks on a accessport.

what i have come up with is..

Uppipe - 150
Ebay TMIC - 350
K&N Intake - 250
Turbo Timer - 100 ( turbo just went out so want to take care of the new one )
Oil Catch Can - 100 ( Same reason as above ^^^)
IC hoses - 160

so that leaves me at .... Around $1110 spent with $990 Left.

Thinking of..

Springs
Rear Strut Bar
Sway Bar
and possibly Brake Pads.

What do you guys all think i should do?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
I have $2000 and 500 subaru bucks to spend on mods.

Its on a 04 FXT Auto.

I currently have TBE and Boost Gauge.
Im spending the 500 subaru bucks on a accessport.

what i have come up with is..

Uppipe - 150
Ebay TMIC - 350
K&N Intake - 250
Turbo Timer - 100 ( turbo just went out so want to take care of the new one )
Oil Catch Can - 100 ( Same reason as above ^^^)
IC hoses - 160

so that leaves me at .... Around $1110 spent with $990 Left.

Thinking of..

Springs
Rear Strut Bar
Sway Bar
and possibly Brake Pads.

What do you guys all think i should do?
Stay away from the EBAY TMIC and just go w/ a used STi TMIC you can get for $250-$350. The rest you can use for a custom tune;)

Maybe get an AT tranny fluid cooler instead of the K&N intake.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why no ebay tmic ? i read the thread on nastycock and it seemed like noone had major problems ... i just wanted something with more colling because i plan to change the turbo out in the near future

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
why no ebay tmic ? i read the thread on nastycock and it seemed like noone had major problems ... i just wanted something with more colling because i plan to change the turbo out in the near future
Did you miss all the posts from people having problems w/ it? DAMWAGN got one and ended up getting a different TMIC.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
What turbo on you running? If a TD04, I don't think the IC will make much difference. Get an STi intercooler ($300-$350, with hoses and STi BPV). I expect a downpipe to do much better than the up - it helps the turbo breath. ($300-$600). Keep in mind, just a tune will net you close to 30 hp - no other parts - stock AccessPort 93 octane map.

Brakes (at least pads), sway bar, springs and then strut bar would be my order. I would run synthetic oil and no turbo timer....If you have run the car hard, drive it around for five minutes to cool it off. The turbo is not the only thing that is hot under there! Oh, and I don't think intakes will do much, unless you are looking for the sound.Maybe 10 HP, under the best conditions.

My 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm might have missed that part :p ... alright well then maybe ill stick with the STI IC

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
Just remember with a TMIC, bigger isn't always better. The TMIC sits right above the engine, making it a giant heatsink. A thicker core just doesn't allow enough air to pass through it to counter the heat residing on the backside of the IC.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
90 Posts
I think coilovers are the worse thing to go for a daily driver. I would use the suby bucks to get Forester STI springs.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Intake is not a good idea either.

With that money why don't you go for used vf39, sti tmic, and uppipe. Then spend the rest on brakes or suspension. You'll end up with a excellent all around vehicle.

Bland...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok to set things clear ... i have 100,000 miles on it ... and the stock tubro just went out so getting that replaced by warrenty thats why im not getting the VF39 right now ... i was going to but not at the moment. That is also why i am getting a turbo timer just to be on the save side so i dont have problems with the turbo again. I was thinking of doing H tech springs off the WRX , Rear Strut bar , sway bars and probly better break pads. I was thinking about going the coilover route just because of the miles on my car but they are like 800 so i might go that route and take somethings off the list

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
too bad you're getting a new TD04 and that you can't use that towards something else... honestly, TD04s are dime a dozen, even if it goes again, you can pick one up dirt cheap...

The following I think is a waste (at this time):

turbo timer
kn intake
ic hoses

i'd better spend the money on handling and brakes

sti rsb is a good start
better brake pads
fsti springs or tein h-techs
better tires

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I want to slam the car ... i kindof want it lower then the WRX h-tech springs ... im debating Megan racing coilovers ... or STI take offs .... which would be lower? and around how much are people paying for the STI take offs?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I went to Kingpin Performance and bought and had them install USDM Ver 7 STi struts/springs, for 500. The only reason to get a CAI is for the increased sound. A snorkus removal will give you the same benefits in power. (But the sound is so cool!) Injen CAI are selling for 200.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
+1 for spending the money on suspension upgrades. Unless you're just stoplight racing, the stock suspension is a joke on the pavement in my opinion. In fact, upgrading the suspension actually makes the car feel slower because you lose that "oh ****" feeling when you're going fast in a turn or braking or accelerating well you know what I mean.

Plus you'll be ready for later power increases. Oh yeah, what kind of tires are you running? There's the number one ailment of the XT-Geolanders.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Ebay TMIC isn't that great. Someone sent me one and it weighed a ton, welds weren't good (sloppy), and the castings were very rough. It was supposed to be a GP Moto unit and it wasn't (ripped off). Anyway I sold it to soneone that was willing to deal with it. For the price of the Ebay TMIC and the hoses you are wanting, I think Roo is selling a real GP Moto new for about the same $$. I found a used APS and it's pretty nice. Now about those A/C lines...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i just bought a Helix one so that parts figured out ... now i think im going the VF39 route and then suspension

1 - 20 of 22 Posts