Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'10 forester for the wife (with <1K miles)

so she was complaining about the tire monitor light being on. i've battled it before on several cars and if you pulled the bulb, it threw an engine light. easiest thing to do is cover the hole with electrical tape, which i have done before with no trouble. i had to lift the fuel needle to get the tape in there to cover it and it works perfectly, except when i put the fuel gauge needle back, it doesn't quite stay in the place i put it. upon ignition, it bounces and reads 1/2 off, either half full or half again past full. i have a full tank so i could set it correctly, but it doesn't want to stay in place. do i need to do something to the needle before i push it in? the whole needle, base and stem, came out when i pulled it.

btw....she doesn't quite know it has this problem, and she was mad enough that i did it in the first place without telling her

oh, and please don't tell me to actually try to attempt to maintain the air pressure; i've a digital air gauge, averaged it through 3 gauges, ran the air pressure in 5lb increments from 25-45, and still it goes off a couple of times a day. i've talked to other subaru owners in the area and they all have the same problem. btw, we're in vail valley where there could be as much as a 40-50 degree difference throughout the day

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
As far as the TPMS, post #8 on. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tpms-sensor-replacement-33939/

For the fuel gauge, as you have learned don't mess with them. Many who have messed with the gauge needles for various mods have had to replace the cluster or send it out to have it repaired. Best way to set the needle is with every thing powered up and place the needle in the appropriate position. If that fails call these guys and spend some money.

Products - General Auto Cluster Repair

They are local to me, do very high quality work.

There are better ways to work around Subarus TPMS.

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i called'em 3x, even the day we drove it off the lot and he kept giving me the runaround that the tire pressure has to be this, done when it's cold, and so on. i'm like, duh. apparently you can't exceed a maximum setting, either, so you can't overinflate. it's gonna be an ongoing problem.

and thanks for the link, i may have to use it!

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i prepped the wife and told her how everybody has the problem with them (she was ready to give the car up because of the light). she wasn't too mad because i've done show trucks and pulled gauges before for different mods. i had an 87 camaro that had a bad speedo, so i pulled it and clipped the retaining spring so the needle would just spin. the faster you went, the faster it spun. it was awesome. but on all those, the tool i use just lifts the needle from the shaft, and the whole shaft came out with this one. it'll do right some of the time, but not all the time.

anyways, i told her the fuel gauge may be off and i'll use my allowance (dave ramsey plan) to get it fixed since i screwed it up. grrr. also, you guys are a lot more understanding; i went on the ultimate subaru board and they were talking to me like i was a little girl and scolding me for bypassing the tpms. we had a pathfinder that had that but it actually chimed all the time, so i guess just a light isn't as bad.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
i called'em 3x, even the day we drove it off the lot and he kept giving me the runaround that the tire pressure has to be this, done when it's cold, and so on. i'm like, duh. apparently you can't exceed a maximum setting, either, so you can't overinflate. it's gonna be an ongoing problem.

and thanks for the link, i may have to use it!
The TPMS from Subaru is set to go off <26PSI and >50PSI. I have seen a few senders that were flaky from the get go. The dealer can pull any stored data from the TPMS system potentially finding the problem if the light comes on and off.

It could be a sensor that has a bad battery or it could be mis-calibrated. Even possibly a chunk of debris from when the tires were mounted at the factory plugging the air port on the sensor. Non the less with access to the system it will tell you what wheel is the culprit providing you haven't rotated the tires or you can remember what tire went to what location. We may only see a TPMS light but the system can do more.

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's definitely out, then. she came home the other day and they were all 36.5-37 by the digital check. i'm just feeling like i'm still gonna get the runaround, though.

i called that place today, but they were closed, probably for the holiday. thanks again for that link. what kind of turn around time do they have? i sent my suburban gauges off to have the SS conversion done and it was about a week. also, do they do any extra work? like, different color face plates? i've always wondered why all the dash and consol is in red, but the gauges and radio are different colors. it'd be nice if they color-matched a little better

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Try a different dealer.

As for D&D instruments, it all depends on their work load. I have had them gut and rework a vintage Harley speedo the same day and at other times it has taken a few days to get back a simple mileage reprogram on a digital speedo.

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i was considering just handing the car to them and telling them the fuel gauge isn't right, but then as soon as they pull it they'll be able to tell i was monkeying with it and won't warranty it. so when i hear back from the d&d, i'll have a better plan. i want to get it done before i take the car in for it's first oil change. i get the feeling if i pull in with problems i've caused myself, they're not apt to be as receptive to the problems the car is presenting on it's own.

the turn signals and such still work, right? they did on the suburban when i had the conversion done on it, but it's a subaru that's proving to be a challenge

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alternate plan the wife came up with: she'll just take it in and state the fuel gauge isn't working right. if they ask, she'll fess up and tell the truth. if not, let'em fix it :D

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
^^ I have moral issues with this, every day people have legitimate warranty claims that manufactures deny with the excuse it was abuse/neglect by the customer. All too often in my local area and on forums I see/read about the person who has modded their car and is now having issues that if it were a stock car would be covered under warranty. Always seems that when it gets posted about in a forum one of the first recommendations is to take all the aftermarket parts off and return it to stock and bring it in and play stupid. Which they do, some get it covered and some get busted. However it seems the ones that get busted always cry foul(what the hell, you created the mess, you pay to fix it). Whether they get busted or not they are still attempting to or have defraud/ed a company.

I am sorry for this one, but it is time to suck it up and "pay the piper". If there weren't so many other low lifes trying to pass one by the manufactures more of the legitimate claims that customers are either forced to walk away from and wrongfully pay out of their own pocket or have to fight tooth and nail to get it covered by going to court would be repaired with out question. Unfortunately it's these low lifes that have forced manufacturers to scrutinize every warranty claim that comes in resulting in some legitimate claims being denied. People need to learn you have to pay to play and to take responsibility for the mess they create and to pay the bill when it is due.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
alternate plan the wife came up with: she'll just take it in and state the fuel gauge isn't working right. if they ask, she'll fess up and tell the truth. if not, let'em fix it :D
How would Dave Ramsey feel about this?:shake:

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
she was kidding! (that's what the smiley face was for; refer to post #7) i'm still waiting for D&D to get back to me. i guess they weren't open friday because i called 2x, left a message, and sent an email.

edit: i guess i should hold off on sarcastic and MST3K type off-handed humor til hang around more, huh?

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh, and dave wouldn't have bought the outback sport in the first place; he'd have limped the grand cherokee along and paid himself the $350 payments so he could buy a used subaru from a local for $3500 after ten months, then continued to pay himself $350 each month til he could sell that one, and buy a $7000 one in cash!

then again, dave assumes a $3500 car now will be worth $3500 at the time of selling :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is there another number for them? i keep getting a recording saying they're closed, and it's monday at 1340 mst.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
They may be nice to their employees, They may be closed today to give everyone the day after the 4th off. Many smaller shops are closed around here.

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ugh. not us....i'm in a hospital lab working nights and they bring us the drunks to draw for DUI charges. i love those conversations; their reasoning is infalible!

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright, finally got a hold of them and it's a no go for D&D; they don't have what they would need to repair something that new.

·
Registered
2010 forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found a cluster for $195, but the mileage is unknown. i'm considering buying it knowing:

a) how much would the dealer charge to fix the one we have and reseat the needle? i'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but i'm guessing they'll say they would have to look at it first.
b) will another cluster from another forester simply plug in and work?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts