Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving cross country as we speak and as I was going through ohio my "check engine" light came on. I stopped checked all the obvious...oil, gas cap, brake fluid level, rad fluid etc... all was good! I am suspecting the O2 sensor? The light is on steady, I even disconnected the battery to reset the computer and see if that would work and no go! How many O2 sensors on the 2002 forester non turbo? I am thinking of changing them here in the hotel parking lot any help would be appreciated right now! No dealer around for at least 80 miles!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
No sense in guessing... you'll need to get the code pulled to know what's causing the issue. It's probably emissions-related so I wouldn't sweat it. As long as the CEL isn't flashing, you're fine - it's not going to cause damage to your engine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I will second this, stop by any auto part store and ask them to read it if is emmission issue keep on driving.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
It is not uncommon to trip your CEL due to a tank of gas that the computer decides is not up to par. If it is not flashing, and if the engine is running ok, I'd drive it through another tank or two of gas to see if it resets.
My last Jeep did that to me one time (almost ran out of gas and filled up at a really nasty place). It took about 2 and a half tanks and the light went out while on I-24 between Nashville, TN and Chattanooga, TN.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
It could be absolutely anything on the car.

Any autoparts store should read the CEL for free. Post it up here and we'll have a better idea of what to do.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
If the light is not flashing and it is running ok it is probably not a big deal. Just get it checked out when you can I would not go out of the way for it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had it checked here in Dubois Pennsylvania and it coded #P40 WHICH SAID SOMETHING ABOUT CAT. CONV. The machanic told me to go and fuel up and add a bottle of injector cleaner and give it a try and he cleared the code for me! He said they are having problems here with the mandatory 10% ethanol content also ohio. He said the ethanol is seperating from the gas and sending the %'s way out of whack causing these problems?! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
That's kind of what I was referring to... I'd say drive it...drive it like you stole it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unnecessary to put any additives in. Just keep on keeping on, nothing to be worried about. It may go away, it may not. Check after it when you get home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts