Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Kayaking but have always rented. I'm purchasing my first pair of Kayak's tomorrow. I have a Subaru Forester MY10. I have the Roof Racks + Aero Cross Bars (Factory Installed)... My question is.. What type of mount do I need to put my Kayak's up there? I've seen a few like the Bow Down (Yakima), but is it possible to get two Kayaks on top of my Fozzy? Will the holders get in the way? is there enough space? I'm sorry for my ignorance, this is my first time dealing with this sort of issue. I noticed the prices of most are around $140.. I'm looking for something that can hold two Kayaks.. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
You can carry two if you get the J-shaped cradle carriers like Thule Hull-a-port or Yakima Hullraiser. Do some searching around here, there a quite a few threads around that deal with this.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
35 Posts
I had J-cradles and hated them. Ended up going with the Malone Sea-Wings and have absolutely loved them ever since. Do a search on Malone here on the site. Here's my MY10 with two 14' kayaks on ... they hold the kayak very tight.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats amazing.. The SeaWings look nice.. I ended up getting the Yakima BigStack and that worked pretty good when taking the Kayaks home. I will keep trying it out and see how it works out.. If I end up going for something else I will definitely go for the Sea Wings. Beautiful picture btw! Thanks again.

I had J-cradles and hated them. Ended up going with the Malone Sea-Wings and have absolutely loved them ever since. Do a search on Malone here on the site. Here's my MY10 with two 14' kayaks on ... they hold the kayak very tight.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
I use the Thule cradles on my 2004 and have no problems fitting our two 21" beam composite seakayaks side-by-side. If your kayaks are rotomolded plastic though, be aware that J-bars may be better. Plastic kayaks + strapped down hard + topside up + blazing sun is not good as the kayaks may end up distorted. They will keep their shape better if stored on their side.

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts
If your kayaks are rotomolded plastic though, be aware that J-bars may be better. Plastic kayaks + strapped down hard + topside up + blazing sun is not good as the kayaks may end up distorted. They will keep their shape better if stored on their side.
^^This.

Rotomolded plastic kayaks (especially the longer touring ones) are quite prone to oil canning and deformation under those circumstances, which is why they should preferably be stored and transported on their side. Here's mine:

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
Nice kayak, Silke. I don't recognise it; what is it? A Perception of some kind?

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts
It's a Perception Catalina... basically it was the slightly smaller sibling to the Carolina. I don't have it anymore, though. :(

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
550 Posts
I have longer bars on my yakima rack that allow me to put up two sea kayaks in saddles. I found that I wasn't able to fit their mounts between the rails, so one mount needs to go on the outside. (does that make sense)

I also have used kayak stackers to put two boats on their side. They are kind of like rudimentary J-bars, but cheaper and causing less wind noise.

I also found these useful for bow and stern tie-downs. The plastic bodywork of the forester isn't too easy to tie-off to.
Rutabaga - PAJE Products - TopTies

·
Registered
2007 Forester/XT/Sports
105 Posts
Not sure my info will help but...

I am using my forester to haul my 2 kayaks and this is what I have found so far.

I have a single seat sit in sea kayak 16'er which is only about 23" wide and a tandem sit in flat water kayak that is 15' and over 30" wide (fat pig).

I use a "J" cradle Thule Hulla-port Pro ( folds down when not in use ) for the sea kayak when I am loading just that one boat.

I use a set of Yakima Mako Saddles for the sea kayak and the Hulla-Port for the tandem kayak when hauling them both.

So with these 2 kayaks I have one laying flat and the other up on its side.

I use at least a bow line in addition to the rack straps and did not like the lines touching the bumpers so I took some nylon strap and melted holes in it and then attached it to existing fender screws under the hood. These fold down into the engine bay when not in use.

Anyway just thought I would share what is working for me on my Forester.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
That's brilliant! Making new bow strap attach points this weekend.

I have two 14' sit on tops (Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140) rigged for saltwater fishing, and I love my Yakima J cradles. Very sturdy for what they are... Although I miss just tossing them in the bed with an extend-a-truck. But at least I get 10 mpg more now with this...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I've just solved this problem with my MY10.

I'd sell the factory crossbars and purchase a yakima "Railgrab" base Crossbars (I think I used the 58" and cut them down by 3" or so) and either their bowdown system, hullraisers, or (as I did) saddles. Saddles need a bit more width of crossbars.

I can install or remove this rack in 3 min, so my moon roof is a quiet pleasure to use when I'm not carrying the boats. Otherwise any rack is unbearable noise.

My 2 rotomolded boats are 13' long, and with the rack spacing that I have I really do not need bow or stern straps to be rock solid. Even with this sturdy system I wrap my tiedowns around the siderails so the factory rails would have to rip off before these boats would. It's solid at 70 mph as I can see it through the roof.

I use their Boatloader to assist me loading these when alone. Refer to the yakima website.

This is not cheap. But it works great and I control the noise issue. Anything that you attach to the factory crossbars is going to be really noisy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts