Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a hta68, process west tmic, and injectors installed in my 08 fxt. Prior to this installation i had a vf, sti top mount and sti injectors. (also have full exhaust, cold air intake). I was making 275 at the wheels on a dynojet. Now with the hta 68, im making 276 on a mustang:crazy: i kno mustangs read 7 to 10 percent lower but spending aound 3000 dollars shouldnt net only a 20 hp gain. Should i sell the turbo, get a 20g, and cut my losses or get a tgv delete and crank the boost from 21 to 23.:shake:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Forget the dyno number, how does it feel on the road? VFxx turbos are very peaky, hit hard and die off farly quick. The HTA68 is going to give you a much broader and smoother power band, so it might initial feel slower than your old setup. If you had some 0-60 or 1/4 mile numbers to use as a comparisons I'm sure your new setup woudl crush your previous one.

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havnt driven the car yet because it is in the shop. I dont want to drve it until i make a decision so i can sell the turbo as new. The tuner called me today and told me about the low numbers. Bottom line is that i was looking for 330 to 350 at the wheels which is about 310 to 320 on a mustang. Will tgv delete and more boost get me there

·
Registered
179 Posts
When will people learn.... dyno numbers mean NOTHING especially when you're comparing dyno different dynos.

The idea that Mustang dynos read X % lower than dynojet. Is really kind of BS, it's all about how they calibrate their dyno. The same mustang dyno at two different shops can range from 5% and then sometimes it's 20% off.

My vote would be drive the car 1st then make the choice.. the under curve should be MUCH better. Is it enough to keep you happy maybe not.. but I bet it's not as bad as you think.

But that's my 2cents

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
What was the boost target? Did they give you any graphs?

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Show us graphs. Peak numbers tell you little.

People have gotten TD04's to make 300+ lbft of torque, but it did it at only 2,500 rpm and wouldn't make over 200 at 6,500.

Dyno's get knocked a little too much by the Suby crowd. They're good tools, but yes, it's hard to compare one event versus another.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
what other have said about the dyno and it being a tuning tool not a measuring stick. and you can't sell the turbo as new as it has been run on your car on the dyno so take it on the road and see how it feels.

toddlamp had a vf34 tuned on a dyno pack @ ~300 and then with his 18g made ~300 and he will be the first to say that there is no comparison

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at the monent i have no dyno graphs available but i am keeping the turbo. the boost is set at 19.7 lbs on an automatic trans. How much more boost can be safely handled. I already hav a trans cooler so thats not an issue

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Wow, that's alot of boost, way too much for my comfort but I guess it all depends on your fuel and tuner.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its only 93 octane. And the tuner is chris black at ams. my guess is he knows better than almost anyone. i hope

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
Ideally you would get into the 20-23psi range, as that is where the turbos shine and a VF would choke.. But on an auto box, you may not be able to do that reliably.

Oh you cannot compare dyno numbers... Throw out the numbers, and just look at the curve. Where does boost start to build and ramp up, what about the area under the curve... The HTA should be a broader performing turbo in general.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts