Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to install my rear tower strut bar today...

It is the Cusco one (very nice piece I might add)

I put it on screw everything on and then drive for a lil bit. Then as I go to tighten it up and finish everything I tighten it too much and break one screw...

So I need to know guys... am I screwed? can I drive the car safely? I'm too scared to touch it...

Here are pics for you to see!

hey look very nice and clean

upon closer inspection... CRAP!

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
Super common problem when doing suspension or strut bar. You only have to torque them down to 14 ft lbs. I have some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485

The bad news is you can't just get the splined stud. If you want to do it the proper way you need to remove the whole suspension and repalce the top hat. Big PITA and not all that cheap. However I've repaired a friends that did the same thing. Look at the bottom post I did in that thread. On the bright side if when you take out the rear suspension you don't need an alignment :)

My guess is though you will be fine w/ just the two holding it but it's best to fix it, you'll sleep better at night. If you live nearby I'll help.

edit: Rats you live in Boston I just saw after I posted, however if that's you in your Avatar I'll come to you :wink:

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peaty said:
Super common problem when doing suspension or strut bar. You only have to torque them down to 14 ft lbs. I have some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485

The bad news is you can't just get the splined stud. If you want to do it the proper way you need to remove the whole suspension and repalce the top hat. Big PITA and not all that cheap. However I've repaired a friends that did the same thing. Look at the bottom post I did in that thread. On the bright side if when you take out the rear suspension you don't need an alignment :)

My guess is though you will be fine w/ just the two holding it but it's best to fix it, you'll sleep better at night. If you live nearby I'll help.

edit: Rats you live in Boston I just saw after I posted, however if that's you in your Avatar I'll come to you :wink:
haha too bad I live far away!

Thanks a lot Peaty! I guess I'll get someone to replace the top hat... should just be easier that way for me..

Thanks!

·
The Modfather
8,063 Posts
It's not that hard to knock out the broken stud and replace with something from a hardware store, you just need to find a way to make the bolt secure so when you make it tight it won't spin.

·
The Modfather
8,063 Posts
There is no adjustment for the rear (for what you are taking apart) like there is in the front eg camber bolt.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Peaty said:
LOL ... that was my thought too. :lol:

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Knock the stud out and replace it with a nut and bolt, problem solved.

I personally have three broken strut tops I keep , just in case something like this happens I can pop a stud out and replace it.

I can check in the garage and see if I have any spares that I do not need and send one to you, if you want.

Not sure if it will work on a F-XT as most are from early Leggy's and Imprezas.

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hondaslayer said:
Knock the stud out and replace it with a nut and bolt, problem solved.

I personally have three broken strut tops I keep , just in case something like this happens I can pop a stud out and replace it.

I can check in the garage and see if I have any spares that I do not need and send one to you, if you want.

Not sure if it will work on a F-XT as most are from early Leggy's and Imprezas.
Oh that would be great thanks!

It should work right?

·
The Modfather
8,063 Posts
That's exactly what the link I posted above says to do ;)

You will have to remove the whole strut. You won't have to take the spring off though. The stud that broke is splined and pressed in the hat. Once the strut is removed you can get the broken stud out by hitting it from the broken side w/ a drift pin or something similar (10 penny nail?). It will pop out. Since you have a wagon, you may be able to do this while the strut is installed. It will make things a lot easier. If you can get to the top and have enough clearance just knock out the broken stud before you remove it. Doing this while the strut is out can be tricky. You'll need a helper to hold the strut while you get the broken stud out.

Once the stud is out you'll need to replace it with something. What I did was this. I went to the local hardware store and got a bolt and nut that was around the same length as the stud. Get a self locking nut if you can. The trick is to have the bolt held in place long enough to be able to install the strut and put the nut on. Either you can use some JB weld and glue the bolt on the hat (getto but it works) or have someone tack weld the bolt in place. Either way, when securing the bolt, put the nut on to make sure the bolt sits in the proper position. I guess in a pinch instead of securing the bolt in any way, you could have a helper hold the bolt on the bottom while you tighten it from the top.

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peaty said:
That's exactly what the link I posted above says to do ;)

You will have to remove the whole strut. You won't have to take the spring off though. The stud that broke is splined and pressed in the hat. Once the strut is removed you can get the broken stud out by hitting it from the broken side w/ a drift pin or something similar (10 penny nail?). It will pop out. Since you have a wagon, you may be able to do this while the strut is installed. It will make things a lot easier. If you can get to the top and have enough clearance just knock out the broken stud before you remove it. Doing this while the strut is out can be tricky. You'll need a helper to hold the strut while you get the broken stud out.

Once the stud is out you'll need to replace it with something. What I did was this. I went to the local hardware store and got a bolt and nut that was around the same length as the stud. Get a self locking nut if you can. The trick is to have the bolt held in place long enough to be able to install the strut and put the nut on. Either you can use some JB weld and glue the bolt on the hat (getto but it works) or have someone tack weld the bolt in place. Either way, when securing the bolt, put the nut on to make sure the bolt sits in the proper position. I guess in a pinch instead of securing the bolt in any way, you could have a helper hold the bolt on the bottom while you tighten it from the top.
haha I know thanks... but I meant his bolt that he might give me

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
I got some studs laying around from parting out a set of top hats when I did the same thing. PM and I'll hook you up... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts