Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a Forester, but I am having a hard time justifying the purchase. I have not made my mind up as to new or used. I drive approx. 45-miles per day, mostly interstate. My job requires me to be there regardless of weather conditions. We also enjoy hauling the dogs to out of the way walking trails. I am concerned about cost of ownership for the 2014 due to the cvt and I am concerned about oil consumption of the 2010/2013. I have driven the forester and like everything about the car, but I am the type person that keeps a car until it is ready to donate. My two cars are a 1995 S10 4x4 with 217,000, and a 2007 Civic with 205,000. Neither uses oil or requires abnormal maintenance. Not trying to bash Subaru, I just need to make sure we spend our money responsibly.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Subaru has been using CVT in there cars for over 25 years. They introduced the first CVT car in the USA in 1989. Most of the major auto brands are putting CVT's in new cars. And the CVT trend seems to be growing. I've read a number of articles that say the CVT will be the dominant auto tranny in most new cars in the future. At some point you will not have an option on not getting a CVT.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6-speed Manual
48 Posts
I'm a diehard fan of manual transmissions, so I may be biased.... But IF they have the bugs worked out of a CVT transmission, it should be the most efficient of the bunch. Unlike a manual or typical automatic, it could keep the engine at it's most efficient rpm based on load. Again....IF they have the longevity of the other two remains to be seen. GM's guinea pig CVT in Saturns was a joke.

My 6-speed Premium has around 6,500 miles on it. At 4,000, I had to add a quart of oil due to the low oil level light came on. I'm hoping this oil consumption was due to the rings need a little longer to seat, etc and will not continue. I've read here that some new Subies are drinking a quart ever 1200 miles!(?). I haven't had a car that needed a quart of oil between oil changes in years.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
New or used?

The new engine with a metal timing belt and 0w-20 synthetic oil, came out in 2011. Some seem to have excessive oil consumption but mine uses none.
The same engine is used in the 2014 x model. The turbo has a new engine. The 2012 and 2013 had height-adjustable passenger seats.
According to Consumers Reports, the 2009-2013 models have a softer ride.
The 2014 CVT gives much better gas mileage.
A good place to check out other comparisons is Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek .

·
Registered
2015 WRX Base 6MT
90 Posts
Skip the CVT altogether and get a '14 with a 6mt. Having purchased the manual, and gotten a cvt as a loaner once, I can safely say the CVT is annoying, but will yield better mileage. My father has an 3rd gen forester, and it's a very nice car, but the 4eat does horrible things to the mileage by comparison. The only other thing I can offer, having come from a used car before I got my Forester, is that there are hidden costs when buying used. Unless you can get a very thorough inspection done, you will likely spend around $1000 or so in the first year fixing and replacing worn out parts such as tires, brake pads, and hoses. There are many things to consider, but if you keep your vehicles that long, it helps offset the cost of buying new, and then you know the MX was done right!

Good luck making a decision, and enjoy your new, or new to you, Forester!

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
There are many foresters that do not consume oil. That giant oil consumption thread is only at about 30 cases reported. Most of it is filled with plenty of fear and reactive statements.

CVT long term remains a mystery, but a nearly identical CVT has been in the legacy/outback since 2010, and they have done very well. The forester has received a few upgrades from that CVT to make it better too.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
I have 1700 mile on my new FXT and I check the oil level weekly. Oil level has not changed at all each time I check.

I find you have to be careful when reading information on owners forums. There are two types of people on owners forums. First there are the enthusiasts that love the car. Next there are people that have issues that want answers. The average buyer is just happy with their car and don't participate in forums. Subaru has sold about 100,000 2014 Foresters this year, so those with any complaints are a very small minority.

If you go to the owners forum for any brand or make you will always find a small percentage of owners with an issue. You have to balance this with the total number of vehicles sold. Every brand of car will have some cars built with an issue, that's what warranties are all about. And if you are concerned about long term, buy an extended warranty.

I just did a 3 day subscription to the Subaru technical web site. I did not see any TSB's or communications about oil consumption or CVT issues in the 2014. If there was a large number of complaints, there would be something posted there. If there was a large number of complaints, sales of the new Forester would not be through the roof the way they are and Consumer Reports would not have rated the Forester the most reliable car of the year.

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5X automatic
808 Posts
For what it's worth; my girlfriend has a 2014 2.5i with CVT, still read full on the dipstick when she went for the first oil change at 4,000 miles, and the CVT works very well with the FB25 motor. My Forester, a 2013 2.5x with FB25 motor (17,500 miles) uses less than a quart in 6,000 miles.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All for the replies. My problem is that I over research everything. The more I dug the more I became concerned about oil consumption, and SOA's response to the issue. I would prefer the 6-mt, but my wife will not be happy. We all know how that goes. I am really liking at the 2.5i Limited, especially after the test drive
As far as the CVT, is this the same design as previous years and also am I correct that the 2.0XT has a heavier duty CVT?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Subaru has been using CVT in there cars for over 25 years.
Not really... if you're referring to the one on the '89-'94 Justy, it was a rather forgettable and unreliable CVT on a rebadged Daihatsu. Subaru didn't revive the CVT (in its modern iteration) until the 2010 Outback/Legacy.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Actually, the CVT in the XT is different from the one in the N/A models (I was just talking to an SOA rep about this at a recent event). The one in the XT is equipped to handle the extra power/load.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems odd to me that most information available for the CVT is basically hearsay, not actual information provided by SOA. Does anyone know how much it cost to have the fluid changed?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6-speed Manual
48 Posts
Does anyone know how much it cost to have the fluid changed?
Or how often?

I assume Subaru did plenty of R & D on their CVT so it would be dependable and not tarnish their image. Haven't read any complaints yet. I just hope my oil consumption improves.........

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or how often?

I assume Subaru did plenty of R & D on their CVT so it would be dependable and not tarnish their image. Haven't read any complaints yet. I just hope my oil consumption improves.........
Now you have me even more concerned. I thought the oil consumption issue was 2011 through 2013. My only concern for 2014 was the CVT. I thought Sub would have solved the oil issue.

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
545 Posts
Thanks All for the replies. My problem is that I over research everything. The more I dug the more I became concerned......
I give you credit for researching the applicable forums before making your purchase. Just be aware that you can easily be overwhelmed with the anecdotal stories from owners. Their problems and experiences are real and noteworthy, but as a potential buyer you need to step back and judge how common an issue is....and how likely it is that you will be affected by it. All vehicles have issues, some serious, that are experianced by their owners.

I tend to go with the judgement of JD Power and Consumer Reports regarding car purchases... rather than drowning myself with information in a particular forum. Just too much information.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Why all the CVT phobia everywhere......AFAIK Subaru and Nissan have been putting CVT's in their cars without problems and make the best CVT's on the market......I have been driving vehicles with CVT's since my 2005 Nissan Murano and I think they are great......I think that whether we like it or not.....the CVT and the dual clutch transmissions are going to be IT in the very near future.....the precious manual trannie that soooo many people swear by will be a museum piece at some point.......there used to be a time where the manual was more fuel efficient than the auto....not anymore.....just my $0.02

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Why all the CVT phobia everywhere......AFAIK Subaru and Nissan has been putting CVT's in their cars without problems and make the best CVT's on the market......I have been driving vehicles with CVT's since my 2005 Nissan Murano and I think they are great......I think that whether we like it or not.....the CVT and the dual clutch transmissions are going to be IT in the very near future.....the precious manual trannie that soooo many people swear by will be a museum piece.......there used to be a time where the manual was more fuel efficient than the auto....not anymore.....just my $0.02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts