Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5x Touring auto
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Update**
Blowers working, took out the glove box door and the footwell plastic panel let the heater go directly underneith for an hour and its working now..

This is an unbelievably stupid problem to have to deal with. F*&^ the north.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help!

It's been -48c here for the three days, I went to start my subaru that was plugged into a block heater the whole time, car started but my fans for the heating system arent blowing anything.

I turned the dial from 0 to 1 and I can hear a click like something is trying to engage, but nothing. Dealership says to try and warm up the interior and give a knock to the underside of the glove box, sayin thats where the motor is.

I have a house space heater in there right now trying to warm the **** up, but I dont want to knock on cold plastic because its guaranteed to break... anyone else have these types of issues ?
I might have to bring this car back if it cant take these conditions.
The problem is I'm 300 km in the middle of nowhere, I cant just bring it to the dealer and I need to keep my dog warm on the way home on Wednesday from my shift

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Fussy fan

I suspect the cold is causing dimensional changes to plastic components. The motor itself is probably fine; Hi speed would have maximum torque, of course . Could be the plastic squirrel cage blower is rubbing against the housing or the cabin filter when really cold. Terrible time of year to have this problem!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,108 Posts
Change the coolant mixture

Make sure your coolant is mixed at 70% coolant to 30% water. If the coolant is still at stock- 50%/50% it will freeze at -34F. At 70% it will freeze a -84F. Hope this helps. It worked when I spend a summer at McMurdo in Antartica. Use Peak antifreeze if you can find it. If not, use any concentrate you can find.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
I agree living in northern Ontario I mix mine a bit more concentrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts