Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've found 2 Foresters that I'm considering buying and I'd like to get your thoughts on which is a better long-term buy. I plan to keep it for at least 5 years, perhaps more.
2002 S-Turbo, 64000 miles. 1 Owner. £3500 (approx €5k incl VRT)
2003 2.0 XT, 86000 miles. £4950 (approx €7k incl VRT if I can knock sale price down a few hundred for cash). VRT is the import duty we have to pay btw.

Neither mentions a service history(worried that the S-Turbo will need a big expensive service coming up to replace cambelt etc and could be why it's being sold) but both are from second-hand car dealers (the XT is from a place that also sells second-hand Bentleys, Lambos, Ferraris, etc, and the other place sells Focus, 206, Multipla etc.).

Soooo, my question is which one is a better long-term buy? My head says the S-Turbo (low miles, low price, but gonna look very old in 5 years) but my heart says the XT (newer model, more comfort, better-looking). Bear in mind that I do not put up much mileage, approx 5-6k miles /year.

Opinions guys ?

Cheers,
PK.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Id go with the lower mileage one .. do you have pictures of the foresters? I dont think the 2002 is going to look any older then the 2003 will 5 yrs down the road. The difference in price will cover timing belt repair on the 2002 so I think its a better buy .. In the end your going to be driving it so get whatever one feels right to you, don't settle on anything less.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
First one looks like nice dependable transportation driven by a school mum, the second one screams jump in, lets rip it up! and it looks pretty racy too. Darn its a tough one have you driven both ? As a guy im more drawn to the flashy speedy looking one but my more practical side says get the plain looking one as its probably seen less abuse. I still say stick to the one with less mileage and bank the savings for repairs down the road that either one could possibly need.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Drive them both from cold for 20 mins at least and note the differences between the two.
Service history is important but overall condition matters
- any damage underneath
- make & condition of wheels tyres inc spare
- engine bay clean , is the air filter black/dirty is the oil filter Subaru/ battery etc

Then look for previous owners details ring them up - if the dealer wont supply then walk away

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Buy on condition, not mileage... low mileage does not always mean that the car has been well looked after.

The 2003 one has the full Subaru aero/body kit - which are not cheap so at least one previous owner has spent some money on it... though the painted alloys do have a whiff of DIY about them

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
My personal opinion is the the XT looks a bit too boy racer and as such may have been driven so (those wheels are horrid!!). The SF looks mint. I'd go that that.

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
the answer to all this depends on the service history i wouldnt buy either if theres no history unless you can speak to the previous owner. if none of that comes your way keep your money in your pocket.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
I like the 2003 2.0 XT..but yes service history and previous owners often tell alot ont he car and how it was driven.

Stevem 01 would probably be my choise I love the look on the 01!

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
527 Posts
The '03 has been modified, not 100% sure if it will have an effect if it is an official subaru kit, but your insurance may be more expensive than the standard '02.

Also may be worth checking to see if any other mods have been added to the '03 that could effect premiums etc.

Either way, they look like decent buys really.

Tom.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
I'd go Sf all the way ,that Xt looks like its been driven hard judging by the diy mods ect.

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
Any pic's of stevem motor ? Yeah try to find it on the marketplace but no photo ! Maybe stevem should post up a pic's of his car to help Pique to make their choice ?

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
There will be fresh pics up this weekend. I'm flat out right now, and theres no light in the evenings, and I have to visit the midlands fri/sat...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cheers lads!!

Only a noob to the land of Foresters and Subarus in general so bear with me. I'm leaving the BMW world behind me for the sake of my dogs...and well, a 2.0 Turbo is a bit more appealing than a 1.9NA.

My mind was really set on a 02 S-Turbo (I'm realising that the SF/SG is the model year code) and that yes, the SG does look a bit boy-racer-ish so it may well have been ragged, and at that price it may well have something wrong that I wouldn't even notice when I test-drive it.

Another issue is that I'm in Oirland, begorrah and so I'd be traveling to the UK to basically pick it up or walk home :)

Tbh, the missus would like me to go for the SF too even though the SG 'looks' nicer, but is €2K more which (in these recessionary times) could go somewhere else quite easily.

The low mileage (and 1 owner from new) on the SF is a big selling point too.
I was almost set on the SG until I read the last few 'SF, SF, SF' comments and taking advice from those 'in the know' is what I abide by as it's served me well in the past.

I think the SG is gone now anyway.

Edit: SteveM....Niiiiice!! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts