Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Forester XT 5speed with around 140k on it. Today while driving in snowy, icy, conditions in 2nd gear my car died. I lost power and the car would not re start. The day before I drove for an hour to an appointment and and an hour back. The car seemed to be driving great. Although at last fill up I noticed that I only got around 180 miles on 91 octane for a full tank. I stopped at a gas station who only had 93 so I filled up and then went through an auto car wash..car was still driving fine. Around a month ago I installed an aftermarket catalytic converter because the old one had a leak.. I also had to buy a new rear o2 sensor because the old one was seized.. the kind that you have to strip and splice. Car got inspected with no problems but the mechanic did say my throwout bearing in my clutch was going but it was a non issue at the moment..any help or advice or insight????!!! I don't know what's up..I'm hoping something got wet that shouldn't have and just needs to dry out..when trying to start I can hear what I think is the starter spinning but the engine wasn't turning over..any help?

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
timing belt failed or cam gear collapsed?

has the timing belt been replaced?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
111 Posts
Starter Solenoid?

I don't know what's up..I'm hoping something got wet that shouldn't have and just needs to dry out..when trying to start I can hear what I think is the starter spinning but the engine wasn't turning over..any help?
If you can hear the starter motor spinning but the engine doesn't turn over that could be the starter solenoid

A bad connection to the solenoid coil or coil failure?

On some older engines solenoids were external to the starter assembly and snow/ice could freeze on the linkage causing them to temporarily bind up but I doubt that is the case with modern Subarus.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the entire service history printed out from one of the top Subaru dealers in the US..says the timing belt, crankshaft pulley, idler belts and adjuster were all changed per Subaru specs. I'm the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Well...

1. Your starter isn't engaging anymore(happens).
2. The belt broke.
3. Fuel pump died.
4. Ignition took a dump.

That is your order if you just want to throw money at it on your own.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's sitting (in the elements) on a float charger. I just tried starting it again and mostly the same. The engine tried to turn over once and then the same whining starter sound. I was thinking the fuel pump as well. Has anyone had their timing belt just crap out on them? Wouldn't it have made more of a noise when it originally died? I didn't hear anything abnormal.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
It's not the timing BELT that fails... it's usually the toothed idler that gives up the ghost, seizes up, and shreds the belt. If the idlers and tensioner weren't replaced WITH the timing belt, you're usually still on borrowed time, and it might not end well.

See this thread for reference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/30-now-save-5000-later-109447/

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can add that since I changed the rear cat when starting I can hear/feel a clunking sound coming from below my feet. I figured that I tightened the spring bolts too much connecting the rear cat to the resonator pipe. Don't know how this could be related.

·
Registered
14 outback auto
342 Posts
First, you have to remove part of the timing belt cover on the driver side. It's 3 or 4 10 mm bolts I think. You will see right away if the timing belt is loose or shreded.

If the timing belt is OK, then then it could be:

MAF meter [if it has one]
Fuel pump
Electrical

I discount the idea that it's your starter motor since you said that the car stalled, and starter motor wouldn't effect the car operation. And it seems unlikely that the starter motor would fail as the exact same time as another major problem. However, if you had otherwise occasional stalling problems, then that's different.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't see how the starter being bad could have made the car die while driving as well. Wondering if the fuel pump went, wouldn't the motor still try to turn over?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
OK, the starter spinning and the engine isn't is usually the starter drive. Much cheaper than a new starter if you can get one. However, you say you think the starter is spinning. Might not be, get a second opinion.

O2 sensors fail. Siezing means being difficult to remove.

If you have a cam/crankshaft position sensor to time your ignition, failure can cause no start. Fuel line/filter freezing and/or fuel pump failure can also cause no start and seems to go along with power loss before the no start.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
First things first, no one can even remotely being to find out what is wrong with the car with the limited details that we have on why it won't start. So I will ask this........

1. Does the starter try to start the car? For how long does it keep turning the engine over to start it? Is the starter cutting out or stopping itself when you keep the key turned to "start".

2. Does it sound "normal" when trying to start the car? Or is there grinding or clunking?

Is it possible you can post a YouTube video of you trying to start the car up?

Also, do you have any mechanical experience with fixing vehicles or diagnostics? If not, it's best to take it to a shop and not waste your time trying to find out what may be the cause, because a lot of the diagnostics requires you to remove parts, test, inspect, etc.

For example, first thing I would do is take off one of the timing belt covers to make sure the belt is securely in place, not shredded or loose. Second thing I would do is turn the car to the "key on" position and make sure there is still a "check engine" light that appears when you first key it to the "on" position. If not, you simply have a blown fuse and the ECU is not getting power. But from here, I need the first 2 questions answered.

This thread has an extreme lack of detailed information to make any sort of educated guess, and it could really be anything from sensors, starter, blown engine, destroyed timing belt, a burnt cable, or a fuse. So a lot of questions need to be asked, and they need to be answered as detailed as possible for us to get anywhere on this, frankly. No "assumptions", or "maybe" should ever be used in repairs of the vehicle. You test, troubleshoot and try before you fix.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the timing belt cover. The belt looks brand new with no fraying and definitely not shredded. Here is a video I took of me trying to start it. It doesn't show but it tried to turn over once when I tried before. It sounds more like a whining.no knocking or clunking.

http://youtu.be/WRoMC4wFiJ8

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm only a novice mechanic and a newb to Subaru's but I'm generally pretty receptive of information and reasonably good at troubleshooting. So any help with information that could help me not have to spend the $200 dollar towing fee, the $100 diagnostic fee and then still have to fix my car. If It's something as simple as a fuse or a starter that I can do myself then the better. After all how else am I going to learn?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
Sounds like your battery took a dump.

·
Just a member
03 XS AUTO
847 Posts
Best slingblade voice,"I reckon you ain't got no gas in it"

Seriously though,

I got the video to load finally. It sounds strange. If it was a honda I would say your belt jumped time. I'm not so well versed on Subaru engine starting sounds since I only drove mine a few days before I pulled the engine. Good luck

1 - 20 of 80 Posts