Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm been desperately trying to sell the wife on a Forester (or even an Outback but chances of that are slim) but she wants nothing to do with it. She wants a Santa Fe which I hate largely because I cannot get a manual transmission in it. (awd version) Looking at the stats the Santa Fe tops the Forester in most categories which doesn't help me at all. Any know anything about the Santa Fe that makes it such a poor suv? We keep cars for a long time (10 years) so resale value isn't a big deal.

·
I'm here to HIJACK yo' thread!!!!
08 Forester 2.5
614 Posts
REASON 1: We keep cars for a long time (10 years) so resale value isn't a big deal.

SUBARU IN MY State Good LUCK finding a good well maintained used one.

Reason 2: they look better
Reason 3: manual transmission
Reason 4: Subaruforester.org
Reason 5: JD Powers and ***
Reason 6: Its not an suv its a stupid Crossover
Reason 7: 3000 more dollars for AWD on top of the base price 21,695

Subaru standard at a base of 20,295

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that but I'm a bit scared to show her since she really wanted a Traverse and it was the best large suv. I talked her out of the Traverse based on it's mileage.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
do u get lotsa snow? if so, then there shldnt be any question getting a tested, reliable subaru vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
With the rash of head gasket problems that have popped up on here lately its hard to give you any ammunition, I love my forester and want to keep it for 10 yrs also, but im beginning to have some real concerns about the longevity of the N/A 2.5L motor I mean there's 2005 and 2006's on here experiencing head gasket problems already. I can see 98 and 99 models but not 4 and 5 yr old cars. Hyundai's 10yr 100,000mi. warranty on the other hand is a pretty nice insurance policy on costly repairs down the road too. So I'm going to just say good luck on whatever you choose to get.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Hmm.. I think I'd get a G37 out of all of those.. yeah.. price is not bad either.

Not sure what to say against the Sante Fe though. The older ones had sub-par reliability and electrical issues. Also had shoddy interior quality. But they're getting much better. Also, the warranty looks GREAT. The Forester, on the other hand, I'm not so sure I'd buy with all the issues with the new gen I've seen from here and the issues I've experienced start around 10k miles ago on my 05. Subaru also seems behind the pack in terms of features and styling. So if you don't really need AWD, you might consider something else. If you do stick with Subaru, buy a turbo Subaru at least. :)

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,234 Posts
With the rash of head gasket problems that have popped up on here lately its hard to give you any ammunition, Hyundai's 10yr 100,000mi. warranty on the other hand is a pretty nice insurance policy on costly repairs down the road too. So I'm going to just say good luck on whatever you choose to get.
I agree. The SanteFe might be a cheaper, less maintenance intensive vehicle in the long run. Check them out forum and find a SanteFe forum and ask the questions.

Obviously drive both and make sure the seats are comfortable. If its the Wife's car....her choice really.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
I like the new Sorento much better than Santa Fe. They are available with MT but 2WD base model only. They have optional sunroof that is as big as Forester/Mitsubishi Montero if that is important for you.

I am not really impressed with the durability of my forester 07 FSXT . I just do not have a good feeling it going to last as long as my other vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Here is what I found in a quick scan of that forum ('07+):

A couple of threads on poor fitting rear windows that leak.
Rear Door Quarter Windows Leaking - Hyundai-Forums.com

Few throttle by wire issues.
'07 Throttle Issues - Hyundai-Forums.com

Seems there are several reports for various brake issues like sticking caliper that wont release once at a full stop and a appetite for brake pads as a result.
Brake Trouble, Imaging That! - Hyundai-Forums.com

found 2 or three threads on the rear hatch door being misaligned.
Poor Rear Cargo Door Tolerances - Hyundai-Forums.com

Stop sale issued for door latches on 2011s.
Door Latch Issue Forces Sonata Stop-sale - Hyundai-Forums.com

Automatic transmission coming apart(3 times).
Transmission Shifts - Hyundai-Forums.com
Rough notes that I am keeping re our vehicle.

- 500kms. Wheel balance due to vibration. Wondering if this was not the tires but rather the drivetrain which was actually the issues that you will read about below.

- 1000kms door bolt falling 1/2 out. Have pictures. Took to dealer to show them and have tightened.

- Creak/Rattle from driver and passenger front side door windows. Rear top corner of windows. Tech and service advisor agree something not right there.

- Creak/Rattle from rear most driver side window area. Sounds like trim inside the panels by the window. Clip fallen out? Service advisor aware of situation

- Creak/Rattle from driver side rear of vehicle while closing the rear driver side door. Fuel strap to open flap? Service advisor aware of the situation.

- Alignment. Pulls to the right. Even with another set of winter tires and rims.

- Original transmission failure Dec 14th at 5,180kms. Replacement transmission installed and vehicle picked up Dec 16th. Pictures of oil leak.

- Replacement transmission failure Dec 17th 5,220kms. 2nd replacement trans (3rd trans in total) installed and vehicle picked up Dec 21st.

- Dec 22nd brakes and shifting issues? Vehicle is not stopping or driving like it should.

- Dec 23rd 2nd replacement transmission (3rd trans in total) leaking/failure. Dealer closed for holidays’ so parked it until could drop it off on Dec 28th. Pictures of oil leak.

- Dec 30th brand new transmission ordered.

Four (4) transmissions in 5000kms is I am sure you will agree unacceptable. We have lost total confidence in this vehicle deeming it unsafe and unreliable for my wife and young child to be in. A refund or replacement vehicle would be a satisfactory conclusion at this point.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Gotta tell you, I just had a rental sante fe that I drove from Miami to Key West. Not a driver's car, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. It was comfy, had plenty of features and drove very well. It even had a 6 spd auto. This car was brand new, it only had 200 miles on it, so I can't comment on the older ones. But don't Hyundai's now come with a 10 year powertrain warranty? The magazines have been commenting on their increasing quality lately.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
The new Hyundai vehicles are all quite well built and have great warranty coverage. I'd add the 2010 Kia Sportage to my shopping list too, as it is about thre freshest SUV design out there. Neither the Santa Fe or Sportage is my 'cup of tea', but your wife is the one who will be the primary driver.

As for the 2.5L boxer head gasket issues- I spoke to a 20 year veteran Subaru tech at my dealer about the issue. He confirmed '98-03 HG's are a question of when they will fail not if. Said he's done a number of '04-05's but a lot of those had been driven REALLY hard and were all across the mileage range. The later years are 'one every now and then' but not much more often than Hyundai, Buick, Chevy and Honda which they also service. They service a few '09 Foresters that were sold to a medical supply delivery company and already have well over 100,000 hard miles on them and are reportedly holding up very well.

The biggest negative to the Subaru engine is the $$$ timing belt/tensioner/water pump replacement at 105,000, though to be fair-quite a number of timing chain equipped engines have tensioner and guide issues before that mileage.

You pay your money and take your choice.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
I don't think of the SH series as driver's cars. SG's with light suspension mods, for sure.

Anyway, a friend's wife has had a Sante Fe for the last 3 years and loves it. No problems to speak of.

My ex's 04 Elantra continues to be bullet proof.

Hyundai's warranty is a major plus, 5/60 bumper to bumper, 10/100 powertrain. With that kind of warranty they have to keep their quality up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts