Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
I need some advice. Here's my problem. I hate auto trans. - inventions of the devil. So - whatever I get has to be a standard trans.
No one will ever sit in the back seat. I go offroad a bit - not sliding through the mud, rather through the woods & fields. Probably lots of highway driving, some for long distances....so need some comfort.
I'm in the deep south so snow is out of the question.
I can't decide if I ought to go Forester or Outback....or, (heaven forbid) some other similar vehicle. The AWD isn't a primary attraction. The stick-shift is. (btw - I've never driven a Subaru of any type...how is the stick?)
Thanks for any and all comments, advice or suggestions.
Shiftyguy

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Sticks are fine. If you find the shifter a little sloppy just replace the bushings with Kartboy versions.

The Forester I think may sit a bit taller than the Outback, plus the shorter wheelbase and overhangs makes it more off-road friendly. The Subarus are more car than truck, which makes living with them on the highway much nicer than the cute-utes.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The info about the shifter is exactly what I was looking for - and coming from a car-nut it carries a lot of weight. Why manual trans. are so rare I can't comprehend.
I've pretty much decided on a Forester. They're scarce in Georgia...probably because snow is also scarce. Finding one with a manual to test drive is also a challenge.
Thanks again. You've pushed me over the edge.
BTW, I too was in claims....I suspect for the same outfit you're with.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Give up the stick. The auto does just fine. You can ease the thing through all kinds of slime without exta shock to your driveline. I just bought a 2008 Forester LL Bean model, and it really is quite fun to drive. Gets about 25 mpg around town.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't give up the stick. The auto trans. marked the downfall of civilization. The stick is one of the few remaining activities where one is in control, can make decisions, is not dependant on some mechanical or electical device doing the thinking. Yeah, I'm an old fogey. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of not having to advance the spark manually. I hear rumors that some day they'll have automatic chokes on carburettors, too. What will they think of next.
That's great mileage.
Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I respect your rigid adherence to stick shift cars. I'm the same way. No autotragic could ever replace the happiness of rowing my own gears. Even my '65 Ford pickup retains it's hopelessly clunky column shift manual setup. Subarus have direct linkage to the trans, so no cables to numb the feel. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THAT is EXACTLY what I want to hear! I'm going to hunt one down and get it. My first car was a Peugeot 404 (1962) with a 4 speed on the column. With a stick I can still be Jim Clark....
Thanks for confirming the Forester is set up right. I can't wait!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
THAT is EXACTLY what I want to hear! I'm going to hunt one down and get it. My first car was a Peugeot 404 (1962) with a 4 speed on the column. With a stick I can still be Jim Clark....
Thanks for confirming the Forester is set up right. I can't wait!
The Forester seats will hurt your butt on long interstate drives.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
The 09 forester 2.5x with manual trans is pretty fun to drive. Not the most punchy, but you can at least fake it. The turbo doesn't come with stick shift as an option at all. Use autotrader.com advanced and put in manual trans as a search parameter. None of the other modern (2008+) small SUVs have manual as an option except the Jeep Patriot which got terrible reviews. Toyota FJ and Wrangler are probably your only other options. Outback is $5-10K more than a comparable Forester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts