Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I am asking for some advice here.
I currently own a legacy 2.5 gt wagon... my loocal subaru dealer has screwed it up beyond belief. I am now looking at a 2005 forester x with 145,000 on it.. its an automatic basic transportation. I am waiting for service history regarding h/g changes and other sorts of repairs.. My question is, is this a car that I should look at and purchase? or walk away? I am not familiar with the foresters being a repeat legacy buyer (4 total)... being a subie I know they are great and i know what to look for but my concern is the mileage.

Any pointers and advice would be great appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
coming from a legacy the mileage on the x is probably pretty similiar. There are a lot of guys/gals on here that are multiple forester owners so your not gonna get too many complaints

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's not a lot to go off of to advise, but the head gasket problem only impacted vehicles in model year 2003 and earlier. Don't worry about it for a 2005 unless there is real evidence that it could be a problem.

Otherwise have a thorough used car pre-purchase inspection (or whatever they are called) performed by a good mechanic familiar with the Subaru product and make sure all necessary preventative maintenance has been performed. If it has been properly maintained you should be able to easily get another 125,000 to 150,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To many miles, you have to remember that you will have to sale it one day. 20-30 thousand miles and your right at 170K miles. Youll be lucky to get 5K for a 2005. Stay away.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Meh, mileage means little if you plan on running it until the wheels fall off. Higher miles are risky, though, because stuff wears and may start to fail. Unless the car is really cheap I probably wouldn't bother though. As for problems, anything that a Legacy does a Forester does and vice-versa...aside from the wheelbase they are pretty much identical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts