Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum because I'm thinking about a 2" lift and KO2s for my 2017 2.5i premium. I've looked at ADF, LP Aventure, and Primitive Racing kits. I'm getting lots of conflicting advice about whether to go with King Springs, strut spacers, or both for my mix of driving. I am not a rally racer or frequent off-roader, but I live on the Washington coast and occasionally have to drive through standing water on rural roads, I spend about half my weekends on gravel logging in the mountains, and I occasionally tow a small trailer or carry a couple hundred pounds on a hitch basket so we can go boondocking on forest roads and in the desert. At the same time, I drove about 17,000 paved miles last year, mostly between Seattle and La Push, so I don’t want to give up too much highway and on-road cornering performance.

I'd appreciate any advice you'd have for me, especially details about your experience with the ADF kit and whether you had problems (sag, lean?) or would have done anything differently.

·
Administrator
15,764 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard

If you are not experiencing any sag now and are happy with the ride then I would just go with the 2" strut lift.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and for creating this thread for me Kevin.

A properly loaded trailer doesn't cause sag, but I haven't tried a loaded hitch box or basket yet, and that's definitely something I'm interested in for boondocking, plus I'm somewhat concerned about lean since a lot of my pavement miles are on secondary state highways here in Washington with 35 mph to 45 mph twisties (lots of fun on a motorcycle when traffic is light).

I'm definitely leaning towards the ADF 2" kit with no springs to avoid the bouncing, so I'm eager to hear from anyone with a 2" spacer lift without springs whether they have had issues with sag or lean, and if they'd do anything differently.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
36 Posts
I am getting my lift installed tomorrow, I purchased the ADF 2" kit with no springs and such, as I quite like how the suspension handles offroad currently (even with the back loaded up with gear) and I dont want stiffer I just want taller.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
2"lift (2 3/8 in back) will give you the clearance needed when go backcountry or off road. It also open up your choice of nore AT tires if you ever decided.

For KO2, i have it on mine and loves it. It is much heavier than stock so your mpg will suffer (dpend on how large your tire). However, it definitely can get you to all places and weather condition.

I did not replace my spring due to my included sport spring in my current xt trim. I dont expect to add lots of weight in my car such as RTT at this time. However, I'll consider that once i get out more and when i need it.

Congrat on the car and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All three of you are reinforcing my inclination to go with the strut spacers and no springs. Seems to me that even if the springs help avoid lean on highway corners and saggy butt, the big downside to the springs is the stiffness and bouncing I'm going to get every time I hit a pot hole or speed bump in the city, a rut offroad, or especially the washboards on the logging roads I spend a lot of time on. I think I'd rather slow down for those highway corners and put up with a little sag than put up with the extra bouncing and rattles when I hit those holes and washboards.

It would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has the springs what they like about the springs and whether they have any regrets, and what sort of conditions or driving the springs help or hinder.

·
Administrator
15,764 Posts
I have heavy duty Kings and unladen the ride is very harsh; another disadvantage with stiffer springs is that you lose articulation off-road because the spring won't compress or extend as much as a standard spring. An advantage on-road is less body roll.

Because my extended touring trips are now done in my ute I'm thinking to replace the kings with softer springs in the Foz for weekend off-roading fun.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent insights Kevin - thank you!

nkrader - How did your install go? Happy with the results? Did you have it done at Pacific Import Autos - I was referred to them by Suburb Subaru of Seattle and I'm thinking of having them do my install for me. The guy I spoke with on the phone at PIA seemed very knowledgeable and easy to work with, said they've done a lot of ADF Forester lifts, and it generally only takes them about 3 hours labor to do an ADF kit. Since I don't have a lift, tools, or experience, they seem like a really good option for me being here in Seattle.

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
@Rossotto making sure you get the transmission spacer from cke or primitive as well. You save your time by installing that at same time with your lift.

Without it you will most likely experience wobbling or vibration when accelerate. Also it will help with wear and tear on your drivetrain.

I do and will have mine install soon.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Daklakfoto! You're the first one who's mentioned transmission spacer to me - I didn't even know that was an option. I'm not familiar with cke, and searching "cke auto" just gives me a car dealership in Malaysia. Can you provide the full name and/or a link to cke?

Anyone else have an opinion about transmission spacers and the issues daklakfoto describes?

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope everyone's been enjoying the solstice and the holidays! Thanks to all three of you for the great insights. And thanks daklakfoto for the video and suggestion re the transmission spacer. ADF retails the CKE SSP spacers on the ADF website, so I'll be sure to inquire with ADF and my installer when I'm ready to move forward.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
did you get the lift installed yet? i'm also thinking adf. never heard about the trans spacer either. i have an fxt so the install is different. how come no one does these installs themselves and gets shops to do it? all i see on youtube are crosstreks.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
FXT 2014

Front 2 inch
Rear 2,5 inch
CVT Trans Mount Insert Anti-Wobble

BFTKO 2 / 225-17-65

No Problems here!

did you install on your own? did you need to remove the trans mount or can it slip right in? from adf's website looks like the trans mount was removed.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
36 Posts
did you install on your own? did you need to remove the trans mount or can it slip right in? from adf's website looks like the trans mount was removed.

You have to remove the transmount for slip in the part from ADF, but it is realy easy, need 20 min. all inclusive.

Regards!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
i contacted cke himself via ebay. he said all you need to do is lift the transmission a few centimeters. though looking at pictures of the trans mount, the cross member is covering it, so no idea how you would just have to lift it without removing. i think you're right rolando. tayunz, please let us know how install goes. adf has a 10% off coupon today, but charges shipping, so is a couple of dollars more, just order from cke direct on ebay.

also, recommendations on 60d vs 75d? it says these are made from the same transmount OE materials, so which is which?

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XE CVT
123 Posts
FXT 2014

Front 2 inch
Rear 2,5 inch
CVT Trans Mount Insert Anti-Wobble

BFTKO 2 / 225-17-65

No Problems here!
Wow, that's lovely. Nice to see a European Subaru Forester with such modifications. In the UK people are more likely to lower them...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts