Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I swap onto Summer wheels I see it is time for new tires. The tires I am replacing are what came with the vehicle when I bought it.

They are Toyo Eclipse something or other and they have been really decent for all weather traction but road noise at hwy speed was moderate to mildly irritating.

I am looking for a new set of tires that will provide similar traction and stopping capabilities but offer a quieter ride and better 'road feel'

Size I am specifically looking for is 225/55-17

Any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

..here is a banana for no reason:bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Look at the all season Yokohama Geolandar H/T G95A these came stock on my 09 and after 2 yrs they still look pretty good and are wearing evenly, and they've gotten me thru 2 winters without any problems. Some people don't seem to like them but Ive been happy with their performance on and off road... and there not too loud.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I'd goto tirerack and put in your tire size. Then arrange it by reviews or by price. I generally take a few days doing this and slowly narrowing down the choices.

Favorite tire of mine for the money was the continental extremecontact (the equivalent of the newer DWS). The goodyear tripletread are a great tire (although more pricey).

There are lots of good choices, really depends on how you're going to be driving and what you need. I generally look at the ultra high performance all season category, as I feel this has a good balance of grip, life, and comfort.

Do you drive spiritedly? Do you need them to be able to handle snow? Highway or around town?

With most tires the main factor that seems to change with the price range is the noise and highway comfort. I've been pretty happy with most all of the tires I've tried from general and continental, especially for the money. The more "high performance" the tire is the better overall grip, but also usually less treadwear.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
^funkymonkey gives good advice,
another trick would be to stop in at a few different tire shops and tell them what you want, see what they recommend and then take that info back to the interwebs and look at reviews on tirerack.

That will usually let you know if the tire shop is pushing sales over good advice as well.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vehicle doesnt get driven hard at all, occasionally the wife gets a happy foot when we are headed to and from the coast through winding mountains roads but she never goes more than 65-70 mph, she just mostly enjoys the AWD cornering at higher speeds so grip is important.

At the moment the vehicle doesnt see Winter or even know what snow is. However, that could change if the Foz becomes our only vehicle.

I dont need high performance tires by any means but I know speed rated tires tend to be quieter as well as stickier but give you less mileage.

Of course cost is just as important, we are far from independently wealthy at this time:icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
I've been very happy with Toyo Proxes 4 tires, but they're considered a high performace tire, so they're on the spendy side. Here's a link to Toyo tires & how they rate. :wink:

As to your tire size. I'm assuming your stock tire was 215/60-16x7, +48 offset. If you go here & do a comparison of your stock to what you want to go to, a 50 series tire may give you a closer speedometer match than the 55 series. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered a set of these P225/55R-17 Michelin HydroEdge Tires. They are rated the best in class, are A/T plus wear very well and are quiet. I ordered from the Tire Rack as well. The Goodyear Triple tread Are supposed to be better in deeper snow but you get more road noise and they don't wear as well. Just my .02

Bob

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
184 Posts
My Yoko G95s have served me well for 34K but they are overpriced at $153 each plus mounting and balancing. I may replace with Nokian WRG2 or Conti DWS if available in 225/55/17. On the budget side, General Aclaim HP are a best buy. Some cheaper tires have sipes that are not cut to full tread depth. In short you will lose lateral traction in about 12K. Measure the depth of the sipes before buying cheapies.
Goodyear in the past has not been standing behind it's warranty. There was the debacle involving The RSA series. The tires were coming apart at speed due to cracking sidewalls. G Year refused to replace them for privat owners. The G Year stance was to have the customer use the tire until blowout or failure and then offer a prorated replacement with another RSA. At the same time they prohibited any concealed carry in their dealerships including off duty cops. The RSA had a lot of police contracts because it was the low bidder on pursuit tires. Scary attitude!

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Just popped on a set of DW Extreme Contact Contis 2 day ago. They're 17's but ride well, ultra silent, get good ratings and shed water wonderfully which you need on the wet roads up there. NOt too cheap but will make you foz feel like a different car over the OEMs. And also look at Costco and Sams club for tires-sometimes they've got good deals happening and the best warranty anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts