Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a 800 mile road trip with my 2001 forester (178,000 miles on it)
I found the coolent leak. Its the top tank where the plastic is joined to the aluminum
core.

Catch is I'm moving from Nevada to Myrtle Beach, SC in 3 weeks, and driving cross country.

What I'm hoping is that one of you guys/gals could point me in the direction of a good replacement radiator. brand/manufacturer. I wanna avoid one with plastic tanks, and go with one thats either all metal or aluiminum.

budget for this is up to 250$.
Been looking at CSF radiators. not sure of which one to get.

Thank you for any and all help guys.

John

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting the same kind as you already have. What typically fails on those is there is a gasket between the plastic tank and the aluminum core that shrinks/fails when it gets old. If you buy a new one it will last as long as the one you just had go bad (almost 10 years) and I doubt you'll still be driving that car 10 years from now anyway!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting the same kind as you already have. What typically fails on those is there is a gasket between the plastic tank and the aluminum core that shrinks/fails when it gets old. If you buy a new one it will last as long as the one you just had go bad (almost 10 years) and I doubt you'll still be driving that car 10 years from now anyway!
While logically speaking I would tend to agree and this may very well hold true, not knowing if the new one was made as well as the old one might lead me to an all aluminum version depending upon the cost difference.

We have had some fits with the plasticap versions on the Titans and mine only lasted 35 months so as a personal preference, I will go with an all aluminum one on mine in the future if I plan on keeping the car another few years after one breaks.

Good luck with it no matter what you choose, but if you tend to tow or travel mountains and such, or generally beat on it pretty good, an aluminum radiator may not be a bad choice if a good one is available at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
01 forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kicker is, August first i'm driving this car cross country.
Moving to Myrtle Beach SC.
Ordered an OEM replacement here in Reno at a local shop.
I figure when the motor hits 200k I'm going to rebuild it. Do some port and polish work and put a 2 1/4" exhaust. on it.

I'm just concerned about takinga desert car to a humid area.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I suppose if you are near the beach you may have issues with rust but just the humidity alone won't cause corrosion problems and as far as the other items like rubber, plastic, wiring and so on, I don't know for certain but I can't imagine that humidity in and of itself would be much of an issue either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts