Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I swapped my struts and springs for a lower mileage set with STI pinks. Installation was a cinch thanks to Peaty. However, while torquing down the eccentric bolt that attaches the strut to the spindle on the front passenger side a baffling thing happened. I was tightening it with my torque wrench, set to 120 lb/ft (recommended torque is 129 lb/ft) the nut went from snug to loose and would then neither tighten nor loosen but spin in place. This all while I was holding the bolt in place, which leads me to believe the threads on the nut have stripped completely and now there's not even enough left to grab a thread onto the bolt to back out. This baffled me because this is some serious hardware and mine failed before even reaching its factory recommended torque. Now I know to replace the bolt is simple enough, the problem lies in how to back that nut out. I realize when a bolt or nut is stuck you put some heat on it. Does this apply in this situation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm at a loss and I need an alignment. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
Something that can work, at least enough to get things moving is if you can wedge a narrow bladed screwdriver between the nut and mating surface or between the bolt head and the mating surface to force enough pressure for the nut to grab a thread.

Also, a nut splitter will work if you've got enough room.

Can't think heat would do you much good unless its a cutting torch, then I'd be worried about collateral damage.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Cut of wheel. Done and done...
Was going to suggest that but wasn't sure he'd have enough access to get to it, or be able to cut the nut off or the bolt off w/o doing some extra damage......but if he can get to the end of the bolt to just after where the nut is turning and cut it there, the nut should slide off.

If he has a cut off wheel. I really need to get a better (bigger) compressor so I can have some decent air tools.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately I don't have a cutoff wheel. I'm sure I can track one down. In the mean time I'll try to fit a chisel or flat blade screw driver in there to create some opposing pressure. I'll let you know how fare.

P.S. Those nuts aren't cheap, $10 for it alone :icon_eek: The bolt is only $4.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Just curious, did you happen to take a good look at the bolt threads before you re-assembled the unit? Seems like they must have been a bit worn already.

BTW - that's not a criticism, I sure wouldn't have thought to look at it first either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't notice the condition of the threads. I did however get that f***er off. Spun it until it was completely stripped then slipped a flathead screwdriver in there to slide it over just enough to catch some fresh threads. Success :banana: Thanks for all your help chaps. Off to the alignment shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts