Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the engine on my sisters 1998 Forester 2.5 non turbo, automatic 230,000 miles
I'm replacing it with a lower mile engine.

While it is out, I'm trying to replace anything that might go wrong in the future that is easier to get to now.

Whats the current thinking on head gaskets for the early Foresters? I read somewhere that the revamped factory ones are good for the 98? Thoughts?

I'm replacing the starter because it has a slow start, might just be the tired engine...but I'd rather do it while its easy to get to. It already has a new battery.
I see Bosch and Denso offer aftermarket remanufactured starters. Is there a preference?

Does the brand of oil pressure sensor make a difference regarding leak resistance?

I'm obviously doing the belts, tensioner etc while its out too

Any other recommendations?

There should be a "While its out" sticky :grin2:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
14 Posts
For the head gaskets, early EJ25Ds (DOHC) had head gasket issues. Subaru eventually superseded the part number to a newer type to address this. For the starter, I'd go with Denso. I've yet to see an oil pressure sensor go out on these, so I haven't had a need to buy one. If its leaking at the threads, try using thread sealer. I prefer to stay with OE parts when I can. If you want to save a bit, Aisin makes a nice timing belt with water pump kit. I bought mine on amazon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts