Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I was in the market for some 2004 STi BBS wheels (either gold or silver) and someone was trying to sell me theirs. Below are the pics for the condition of the wheels and tires. My questions are:

1. He wants $900 picked up for these. Is that a good price? It seems kinda high given the condition of the wheels
  2. How can I tell if they are authentic BBS or not? I'm new to these wheels so I'm not even sure if people try faking them or not
  3. Anyone know of other sources to find these wheels (silver or gold)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
--yamsta

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
They actually look like they are in really good shape, and if that price includes the tires it's a great deal. They are dirty but big deal spray with simple green and take a brush to them. Oh and they aren't fakes. Make SURE they are off a 2004, all other years do not fit.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They actually look like they are in really good shape, and if that price includes the tires it's a great deal. They are dirty but big deal spray with simple green and take a brush to them. Oh and they aren't fakes. Make SURE they are off a 2004, all other years do not fit.
Thanks for the advice...what do these BBS wheels typically go for? The thing is that I dont want the tires mainly b/c this is for a 2008 FXT that need the tpms inside.

Thanks,
--yamsta

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
If the guy is local to you, then just get it. You can always try to resale the tires. That's what I did. Resold my tires for $150. Generally, $800 for a good set of BBS wheels is about right.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
those look to be in pretty decent shape actually and is a fair price, especially including tires. you can get touch up paint for the few nicks no sweat.

just make sure they are 04's and you're golden. the size is right on the face of the wheel next to the center cap. see where all the small little castings are in between the lug holes. it says BBS and it will also say 17x7 1/2 JJ. but squinting at those pics they appear correct.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just my $.02, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than $500 to $600 for any used wheels and tires. For a couple hundred more the he's asking you could get brand new.
Hmm...I'm not sure I can get the 2004 Sti BBS wheels for a couple hundred more w/ tires. Can you send some links please?

Thanks,
--yamsta

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
thats the going price for those wheels I just purchased just the wheels for 960 shipped.
Get them! They are the ish!

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Hmm...I'm not sure I can get the 2004 Sti BBS wheels for a couple hundred more w/ tires. Can you send some links please?

Thanks,
--yamsta
No, I have no idea on those exact wheels. Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up. I was just making a blanket statement about wheels in general. I just thought that was a little high for used wheels.

Maybe Surftaco can shed some light on his deal!

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
These wheels are very popular due to the fact they can only be found off of 2004 STIs in our bolt pattern 5X100. Since then Subaru has made all BBS STI wheels in 5X114.3 bolt pattern which do not work on our rides. They are light weight and clear brembos. If you end up getting them and not likeing them you will have no problem selling them or tradeing them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
what markyh is trying to say is that you can get a brand new set of Rotas for $800 much less 5-6 yr old BBS wheels for the same price that have curbage. However, as rare as they are, they're pretty sweet wheels that are pretty lightweight.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Thanks max6spd, the truth is I didn't pay enough attention to the title of the post to see that it said BBS in the title. :chair: I was just on a mad Post-Whore tip since my wife is playing Animal Crossing City Folk on our living room tv and I had my net book right here and nothing else to do right now!

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. I will contact him and see if he still has the wheels.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I ended up purchasing the wheels and put my stock GeoSquealers on there. I noticed that the brake-dust/road-grime is pretty well baked on the wheel even after a good car wash. Any tips on getting all that to come off? I think scubadoober mentioned taking some simple green and a brush to them. Is this the best way? Will it harm the wheels? Also, what simple green product should I buy, and from where?

Thanks,
--yamsta

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Thanks guys. I ended up purchasing the wheels and put my stock GeoSquealers on there. I noticed that the brake-dust/road-grime is pretty well baked on the wheel even after a good car wash. Any tips on getting all that to come off? I think scubadoober mentioned taking some simple green and a brush to them. Is this the best way? Will it harm the wheels? Also, what simple green product should I buy, and from where?

Thanks,
--yamsta
If you have mounted them already I cleaned mine before I put them on. I put them in the sink, yes the sink! And hand washed them with dish soap and regular dish sponge with scrubber. I also used a razor blade to get off the old wheel weights.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Those are nice wheels. I'd love a set of those in silver, I may look for a set to trade for my Prodrives once the tires wear out. Too bad they are not 48+ offset.

Stan

·
Registered
707 Posts
they are a wider wheel though. you lose .2" due to offset but gain .5" in wheel width (from centerline). so the wheel is actually .3" closer to the fender when mounted.

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
they are a wider wheel though. you lose .2" due to offset but gain .5" in wheel width (from centerline). so the wheel is actually .3" closer to the fender when mounted.
To be exact 0.053" closer to the fender, so basically the same.

53-48 = 5mm = 0.2"
7.5-7 = 0.5"/2 = 0.25"
0.25 - 0.2 = 0.05" :N_poke:

But for some strange reason BBS wheels don't look as flush as stock wheels, even though they are 0.05" closer to the fender.

·
Registered
707 Posts
my fault i didn't clarify! my math was for '04 fxt wheels, which are 16x6.5's. so in my case with my '04 i am .3" closer to the fender with my bbs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts