Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post. I just picked up a 2012 Forester Limited over the weekend.
I would like to add a subwoofer to the factory audio system and have some questions.

It's my understanding that some models have a option to have a factory subwoofer installed in the rear cargo area. My forester does not have it installed but are certain trims pre-wired with a harness for that?

I know nothing about car audio installs, so I will have to pay someone to do it. Are there any factory OEM kits I should look into? or should I just go completely aftermarket? I think one well-performing 12" should accomplish what I'm going for.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Automatic
24 Posts
The Subaru accessory subwoofer fits under one of the two seats.

Foresters with subs in the rear hatch are custom installs.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
I just installed a kicker 8" powered sub under my drivers seat along with all of my other audio components. It's no 12" but it is pretty nice and simple to install. It also fills out the music nicely. You might want to look into an underseat powered sub for a simple installation and space savings. There are several different models and many can be hooked up to the speaker level outputs for use with a stock head unit. I would look on crutch fields website for some user reviews and to get some more ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the LC2i compare to other more expensive units that also customize the EQ, such as the jl audio cleansweep?

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
I would put adding a sub in a forester into three categories or stages of volume and cost.
1. Under seat sub. Get a 8 awg wire kit ($30) a under seat self powered sub (120ish) and a $(15) line out converter
It will be 50-150 watts and add bass with 3 hours for install

2. The already offered, bass link option. It packs a punch and is the same type of seat up as the under seat, but louder.
($225) cost

3. Get a mono amp. 4 awg wire kit. Line out converter. Box for woofer. Woofer.
This will sound the cleanest and loudest. It will cost the most too. I have a single 12 in a ported box on 250 watts rms and it's plenty.
I would recommend if this sounds like you, spend the extra on a 4 or 5 channel amp. So you can get better door speakers in there now or later and have them powered

Sound Matt in the doors and the rear tail gate will help keep road noise down allot also. Raamatt is what I have

Alpine Rockford jl will sound great

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
50 Posts
How is the sub/amp wired to the factory radio? Can it use the stock harness or are modifications needed?

·
Registered
2005 Forester x AT
49 Posts
The factory sub uses a harness that connects to the factory radio harness . Its commonly known as a forward/reverse harness. To add a sub to the SH you have few options . The factory underseat sub is one of them. . Adding an amp and sub is custom as no one has developed an option beyond the factory underseat one. Many amps have high level inputs that serve as LOC so separate processors just for adding bass are really not needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts