1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a base model 2016 Forester 2.5.

I bought a factory fog lamp kit from Heuberger Subaru in Colorado (great prices, good service).

Now I need a few tips:

1) Do the lamps install from the front of the bumper cover...or from inside the wheel well liner?
2) My mounting spots in the bumper have only two holes, while the lamps have four mounting studs -- I assume I have to drill two additional holes in the plastic mounting area?
3) WHICH SPOT does the new relay go into in the relay block under the glove box?
4) Do I need to remove the entire fender liner to get at things, or just undo some of the bottom fasteners and push it out of the way?

Thanks in advance -- I appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Jeff in Boston

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
269 Posts
It will be much easier if you take whole fender off. It was surprisingly easy when I did it that way and the fender was also an easy on/off. I installed an aftermarket kit so cant help with the relay location

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
227 Posts
That’s the link you need. You’ll notice that there are two metal tabs, the bolts screw into those. The other edges of the lamp kind of wedge into place as I recall.

I managed to do the installation just by pulling down the plastic cover underneath the front of the fenders (side of front bumpers) and feeling around. Other people remove the fender plastic entirely or even the bumper. It might be easier on the XT, but it seemed easy enough to me.

Replacing the lamps with Morimoto bulbs was even easier, since the connectors were already accessible.

·
Registered
2016 Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to bbun for posting the link to the factory instructions. Job complete. I have a pair of brand-new unused factory foglamps for sale for $95 postpaid as I replaced the stock units with LED units from Diode Dynamics. Post a message if you are interested.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Replacing the lamps with Morimoto bulbs was even easier, since the connectors were already accessible.
How are these different than the stock bulbs (I have the fog lights already installed), and which did you use?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
227 Posts
How are these different than the stock bulbs (I have the fog lights already installed), and which did you use?
The Morimoto are a full replacement housing, not just the bulbs. They are the same shape as the Subaru housings, but have an integrated LED board and driver, and a regular fog light connector. So they install the same way as the factory housing/bulbs, but you never need to worry about replacing the bulb. They are physically identical to the Diode Dynamics Luxeon replacement housings.

My Morimoto are yellow. They are alright, and have a very nice cutoff/wide pattern, but are not much brighter than the lame bulbs that come with the factory housings. It’s better than stock, which is better than nothing.

I might go back to the Subaru housings with Diode Dynamics SLF yellow bulbs, those are brighter. I’d seriously consider retrofitting a PIAA or Baja Designs or something, but I also have a bumper bar that I can mount lights to, or I might get the Diode Dynamics 30” lightbar for behind the bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts