Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Touring Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (my wife, but I think I'm more excited) purchased a 2010 Subaru XT Limited.

I would like to install a navigation and back up camera. We would want a good quality back up picture and also want bluetooth, steering wheel compatibility, iphone compatibilty, and preferably easily/free/cheap updatable maps (Garmin?), and decent price on ebay/crutchfield etc. But can't have everything so update CDs which are reasonably priced if necessary.

I searched this forum and did quite a bit of reading. Got sidetracked on so many cool and interesting posts, dash, speakers, puddle lights etc. The reading on the Nav still left me wondering what might be suitable today. Not sure what I am giving up with older models as in Can it literally be any brand that will be compatible as long as it is double DIN?

I'm looking at various kenwoods and pioneers but just not sure if all of them are compatibile or not. Hoping to consider used and keep it under $500.00. $300 woudl be great.Also not sure what I'm giving up if i went with older nav.

Appreciate any suggestions on decent nav system that would be compatible with 2010 XT Ltd.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
I am in the same boat, but still can't make a final decision. Based on the criteria you set, I would suggest the Rosen unit. You can find them on eBay as remanufactured units for around $370, search Rosen subaru forester. They are supposed to be plug and play. They do have hit or miss reviews so deffinetly do your research before purchase. Another option might be a an app radio based system. That will allow you to display navigation from your phone. I believe they are intended for use with iPhones but others may also be compatible. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Touring Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see the Rosen and do like the price. I've heard of Kenwood, Pioneer but no idea about Rosen. App based radio sounds interesting, however in Canada here where generous cell data plans are not cheap and GPS of course is free.

Would appreciate anyone chiming in on whether any double din Nav would work in Forester (ie. compatible with steering wheel controls using adaptor, fit, speakers etc) or just some.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
I looked at many different options and finally settled on an alpine INE-S920HD. I kept looking for alternatives that were cheaper but always came back to this unit. Several things brought me to this decision. The volume knob, ease of use(I went into many electronics stores and tried different head units, including syncing my phone to them), quality, and price.

The runners up for me were the kenwood dnx770 and the pioneer Avic 540. I preferred the interface and iPod music navigation on the alpine. It's expensive but I pretty confident I am choosing the right unit for me.

I would suggest trying some of the units in person, I think you will be able to eliminate some immediately. The biggest negative for me with the Rosen was the iPod music navigation. I have 21k songs and the Rosen doesn't look like it has a great way to navigate through them. BTW, there are several auto rials on YouTube for the Rosen unit, you can get an idea of its speed and functionality.

Good luck with your choice, Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts