Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
basically i want:
garmin gps navigation system (from what ive been reading, garmin is the preferred/better gps system)
bluetooth
dvd/cd/mp3 player ~ do people really use the dvd to watch upfront? or is it just used to upgrade the gps system?
almost forgot... reverse backup monitor on it!

also this unit shld be able to integrate w/ the steering wheel controls.
i could care less about ipod integration. least so about sat radio. id rather listen to my local fm or burned cds. :p
and if there is such a thing as making it future-proof, im all ears. like how u do custom-built PC and make it upgradeable to new things.
so any recommendations?

im looking at kenwood dnx6140 and so far im liking it but im open for recommendations.

also about audio/speaker setup, what would u guys recommend? i got the stock speakers on my 2.5x premium. im not a big car audiophile. i don't even have the tweeter and/or subwoofer kits but i figured if im going for a new headunit, i might as well have an upgraded audio/speaker setup. any ideas?

note about me: big noob so ill probably ask audio shops to give me a quote and install it for me.

to sum up my inquiry:
best bang for the buck headunit for a 2010 foz
audio/speaker setup (im not looking for the best/expensive but just a 'better than my stock speakers' setup. one that would be at least appreciated by people 'in the know'! :p

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
first get the tweeter kit from Subaru, then get an underseat sub, lots of recommendations on here. Then choose a head unit you like by going to a store and playing with the user interface. Kenwood's are good, I have the Alpine IVA-W05 with Ipod hookup, GPS, rear view camera and sat radio.

Most aftermarket headunits are 7" wide and your stock unit is 8" wide (dumbest thing Subaru could have done) so you'll need an installation kit or the 7" wide surround from Japanparts. So if you want cd/dvd and gps I would just suggest spending the extra and getting an all in one unit.

Pac audio makes steering wheel control modules to keep your steering wheel controls on aftermarket units so look into that. Pac-audio.com Products | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

and then for speakers just look around on here and there's tons of reviews and opinions.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SLT = South Lake Tahoe! :D

thanks ill look at ur link later. gotta prepare for work soon. :/

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:N_poke: nobody else wanna chime in?

help a noob :Banane14: out! LOL!

nice setup btw, mga13! it's so full of win!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Regarding the GPS go here to check out the options and feedback on units. GPS Review Forums. I have done a lot of research on this and I decided on a Magellan. I originally purchased the 4700, all the features you stated, but the bluetooth did not work with my phone so I switched to the 1475T, same as the 4700, no bluetooth or voice commands, I didn't use the voice commands, they are limited, but I got free lifetime traffic and a much better price. I paid $139 at BJ's wholesale. Both have the 4.7" screen which is a nice size. I had planned on installing it this past weekend but no time. If you can wait my installation is planned for Thursday. I will be putting the unit in the cubbie area so that it looks built in and still removable. I have purchased a mount and a Subaru part to have the unit perform as if it was plugged into the cig lighter (turns on when the vehicle is started and off when vehicle is turned off) but this will not be seen when looking at the unit/dash, wires will be hidden and when the unit is removed no one will know there is a GPS in the FOZ. Stay tuned. As far as the sound system goes the tweeters and sub do help a lot. If you want a real booming sound system you will have to go aftermarket. There's a bunch of threads here on the subject.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Mundane,

If you want terrific sound and a unit that integrates with the interior lighting very, very well, then look for my thread on the pioneer install I did. The same unit I have has just been updated by Pioneer for 2010 and will now accept an add-on navigation unit. Don't replace your stock speakers with new ones until you hear them powered by the new unit. You may be happy with the sound. I'm powering the stock speakers with the head unit and they sound awesome, and the factory tweeters are worth every penny, big improvement on sound. I tried an underseat sub and it was pathetic! Perhaps it was because I was feeding it a signal from the factory radio, but I don't know. It was designed to accept speaker level inputs. Regardless, it sounded like total crap! My advice, if you want a sub that will do what it was designed to do, i.e. add some lower end, then you'll have to find something agreeable to mount in the rear. I purchased a JL 8sub in a ported wedge box from Crutchfield. I have the amp mounted on the driver's seat. The sound is awesome! Trust me, when I felt the bass in my chest with the first couple of sample tracks I said "yup... that'll do!" : ) So... It's all in what you want I guess. The box takes up minimal space, and I mean minimal.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
If your looking to save money, pick out a decent kenwood/pioneer/alpine,etc headunit and have the shop install it(will cost typically @300 to install with parts),wait on the speakers and see how much better ANY aftermarket unit will sound compared to the stock pos. Then if you're still not totally satisfied, upgrade the speakers. Of coarse, if any of your friends know car audio,have them install it for you,buy them a pizza and a 6pack,and save 250:) Oh, adapters for the steering wheel controls, and brackets,kits will cost another 100 or so... a $700 headunit installed will end up costing @$1100
sorry for repeating what sperry said about holding off on the speakers

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks for the tips! 'appreciate it!

if anyone got more ideas, feel free to chime in. :)

pictures would be awesome! :D

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Lots of people around here have done custom installs (me included). Use the search to find their threads, and ask questions in there. Then take those ideas and incorporate into a discussion here. That would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
I'm throwing a polk audio 4 channel -200 watt amp and 4 Kenwood speakers in the doors on the wife's 2010 XT.

BTW, for those who have done this before, where did you run the amp wire through the firewall at?

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
6140 seems nice on '10 FOZ, i might consider getting one set.
just wondering if it's the only way to get the steering wheel control adapter from Kenwood Europe?

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well i finally decided which kenwood to get. im going with the kenwood dnx5140. it's basically the same as dnx6140 but without the bluetooth. ill just add that kit, no big deal. what sold me to this unit is the "Traffic Lane Guidance" which isn't available to the other in-dash kenwoods. im sure ill find this feature very useful when i drive on the freeways (which i hardly ever do). :) another neat feature i like is it plays divx. most music videos u can download are in this format so i think i just might enjoy this particular feature (no need to convert files). <- this might not be true for US units. oh well! :shrug: also, it has variable illuminated buttons so i wont get stuck with just blue. i could change the color depending on my mood. interior lighting imo in some sense, makes or breaks the interior of the car, at least at night time. btw, i decided to include/buy the ipod integration kit. might come handy in the future altho personally, im not a big fan of ipods/iphones.

so here's my rough shopping list so far. (pls correct me if any of them are incompatible with the HU)

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX5140 (DNX-5140) - 649.99
Bluetooth - Kenwood KCA-BT200 - 109.99
Steering Wheel adapter - PAC SWI-Xv1 (New Version of SWI-X) - 68.76 ~ a little confusion about this one right now. someone said to use PAC SWI-JACKv1. 'will confirm when this is done. :)
Rear/Reverse Camera kit - Kenwood CCD-2000 - 149.99
Ipod Integration - Kenwood KCA-IP301V (For 2009/2010 Models) - 29.99

*prices are from sonicelectronix. i havent really research much on the prices. ill also try ebay when im ready to buy.

someone mentioned:
"Purchased the Kenwood DNX5140 (double din nav unit), best kit BKSU2027B (bezel kit), best kit BHA7552 (wire harness) and best kit BAA26 (antenna adapter). Thanks to this forum, I was able to pre-order the correct stereo components."

do i really need these kits and adapter? im noob. idk. lulz!

if someone could reply these infos here, i'd be more than grateful. :) someone also mentioned to plug a USB cable at the back and just keep the other end tuck and ready for use in the glove box. im going to do that as well. i will also ask the installer to do the "play dvd while in drive" mod. i believe u just have to ground the 'reverse wire'. im sure ill find that mod somewhere here in the forum.

also, i will be buying the oem tweeter kit. im not so sure about the oem subwoofer tho so i might just buy an aftermarket one. and about the stock speakers, ill follow the suggestions here - to keep the stock first and if i dont like the result with the new HU then replace them with aftermarket ones.

any other tips? feel free to reply. :)

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester XT 4EAT
59 Posts
Good luck with the install! From what I've read on this thread, that set up sounds like it fits your needs to a T! I suggest you look into upgrading the speakers a little bit too... I wasn't satisfied with mine once my initial set up was put in and I'm sure most people would agree as well. You don't have to go all out, just a simple upgrade will do. Try looking at Focal, Morel or DLS if you want nice quality sound. But test out your system first. If you decide it's good enough, no reason to spend more! :) Good luck! Hope it all works out!

Oh and yes, those kits and adapters will make your life easier upon install...

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the driver's side of the fire wall there is a rubber stopper. It is somewhat oval in shape and is black soft rubber. I pulled that off, made small cut in it, then ran the Amp power wire through there. Then just push the rubber stopper back into position and you're done! Try not to make your cut too big. It fits nice and snug with a cut just the right size.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm throwing a polk audio 4 channel -200 watt amp and 4 Kenwood speakers in the doors on the wife's 2010 XT.

BTW, for those who have done this before, where did you run the amp wire through the firewall at?
On the driver's side of the fire wall there is a rubber stopper. It is somewhat oval in shape and is black soft rubber. I pulled that off, made small cut in it, then ran the Amp power wire through there. Then just push the rubber stopper back into position and you're done! Try not to make your cut too big. It fits nice and snug with a cut just the right size.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
well i finally decided which kenwood to get. im going with the kenwood dnx5140. it's basically the same as dnx6140 but without the bluetooth. ill just add that kit, no big deal. what sold me to this unit is the "Traffic Lane Guidance" which isn't available to the other in-dash kenwoods. im sure ill find this feature very useful when i drive on the freeways (which i hardly ever do). :) another neat feature i like is it plays divx. most music videos u can download are in this format so i think i just might enjoy this particular feature (no need to convert files). also, it has variable illuminated buttons so i wont get stuck with just blue. i could change the color depending on my mood. interior lighting imo in some sense, makes or breaks the interior of the car, at least at night time. btw, i decided to include/buy the ipod integration kit. might come handy in the future altho personally, im not a big fan of ipods/iphones.

so here's my rough shopping list so far. (pls correct me if any of them are incompatible with the HU)

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX5140 (DNX-5140) - 649.99
Bluetooth - Kenwood KCA-BT200 - 109.99
Steering Wheel adapter - PAC SWI-Xv1 (New Version of SWI-X) - 68.76
Rear/Reverse Camera kit - Kenwood CCD-2000 - 149.99
Ipod Integration - Kenwood KCA-IP301V (For 2009/2010 Models) - 29.99

*prices are from sonicelectronix. i havent really research much on the prices. ill also try ebay when im ready to buy.

someone mentioned:
"Purchased the Kenwood DNX5140 (double din nav unit), best kit BKSU2027B (bezel kit), best kit BHA7552 (wire harness) and best kit BAA26 (antenna adapter). Thanks to this forum, I was able to pre-order the correct stereo components."

do i really need these kits and adapter? im noob. idk. lulz!

if someone could reply these infos here, i'd be more than grateful. :) someone also mentioned to plug a USB cable at the back and just keep the other end tuck and ready for use in the glove box. im going to do that as well. i will also ask the installer to do the "play dvd while in drive" mod. i believe u just have to ground the 'reverse wire'. im sure ill find that mod somewhere here in the forum.

also, i will be buying the oem tweeter kit. im not so sure about the oem subwoofer tho so i might just buy an aftermarket one. and about the stock speakers, ill follow the suggestions here - to keep the stock first and if i dont like the result with the new HU then replace them with aftermarket ones.

any other tips? feel free to reply. :)
The Best Kit Bezel Kit does not look very good to me. The thin piece above and below the radio are warped. I went with the JapanParts bezel. (P#317-008-028) Just can't stand half a$$ed looking stuff. Good choice on the HU!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Over $1,000 and you still have stock speakers and no amp. That seems like a lot of money to put into a car stereo and be left with bad speakers and no amp. Simply put, the speakers in the Forester are terrible. The way a stereo sounds is the sum of its parts. I really recommend that you pass on a few of those other things and get better speakers and an amp. You can always come back and add those things later.

With the $330 spent on the bluetooth kit, steering wheel control, and camera you could get a nice 4 channel amp, rear coaxial speakers, and a component speaker set for the front:
$140 MB Quart DSC 480 amp
$85 Alpine SPS-600C (type S) front components
$70 Alpine SPS-600 (type S) rear coaxials

Another way you could go is 4 channel amp, front components, and a sub. You could power the front components off of 2 channels and bridge 2 channels to sub. You could keep the rear speakers and power off your head unit. An amp is key, head unit power by itself just does not cut it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
16 Posts
The Best Kit Bezel Kit does not look very good to me. The thin piece above and below the radio are warped. I went with the JapanParts bezel. (P#317-008-028) Just can't stand half a$$ed looking stuff. Good choice on the HU!
It looks like this part replaces the factory bezel with a new one. Is this one only a 7" opening instead of the OEM 8"? If thats the case I am ordering one tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts