Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
copy paste from other section , maybe i could find some info here;)

"just curious if anyone is running their Forester on natural gas (LPG) and what is their experience.

probably this relates to european owners since it is popular here due to the price (half the price of gasoline and gasoline is approx. 6-7$ per gallon).
there are some drawbacks though; price of instalation (2-3 t$) and possibility of malfunctions in some vehicles( mostly from defects that occur in exaust valves due to higher combustion temp.of LNG and lack of cooling effect of gasoline )

thanks"

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I have heard that LPG will soon be roughly the same price as petrol, and all of the associated 'tax' benifits will be removed. Dont know how true that is though, could just be an urban myth.

·
Registered
2004 forester X
62 Posts
Before the XD version of the Forester was launched in the UK, Subaru were offering a LPG conversion that did not invalidate the warranty, so they must have been happy with any "hotter burning" issues.

-------
2004 X with 92,000 miles of no problems - apart from my current rear SLS shock issue

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
From memory, there's at least one - if not two - long threads on the subject in this (Europe) section. A quick Search should locate them.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo
332 Posts
I've had LPG installed on my fozzie and all I will say is get it done by someone experienced. You will also need a valvecare system installed to lubricate the valves.

As for me I have no complaints apart for the scarcity of LPG filling stations in my area. No competition and only a penny difference between Shell and BP.

ubdai

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding subaru original LPG conversion, it is a little bit unclear for me. supposevly subaru's have been fitted with lpg system when they arrived with boat to genova and than were sold as "factory equiped" or bi-fuel as they were sold here. now, to me this is not factory made LPG but additionally fitted with one plus and that was that it was under subaru's supervision.

another question is about factory reinforced engine of recent (last couple of years) years, that is supposevly reinforced around valve seats and thus is pepared for LPG conversion, without addidional lubrification system (here it is FlashLube, a system that drops special lubricant on valves so they don't become too hot. it is approx. additional 200e for the system and takes cca.1litre of 30e lubricant every cca. 10.000km). this is what the dealer tells me, but idependend machanic shoved me deformed valves from driving on LPG on 2 year old 2.0 engine.

third unclear issue for me is LPG purity. as it was heppening here around 10 years ago when new common rail and pumpe duse (tdi) modern diesels arrived, cars started to malfunction. it was from diesel fuel not prepared for modern diesels with lots of sulphur in them. now diesel is more pure,has more additives in them ( it also costs more respectively) and problems are rare.
the same i heard is happening with LPG, now when modern sytems with direct LPG injection came (no power loss) what is happening is that traces of oil that are in LPG make filters dirty and you have the clean them all the time etc.

bottom line is that i am tempted to go to LPG but would not like to influence car's reliability, one of the major reasons i bought it for

regarding price, LPG is/was ~50% price of gasoline. this is troughout europe as i read and i do not think it will go up since it is cheap (bi product of refining gas).
i think in italy it is very popular, around 2m cars on LPG

·
Registered
492 Posts
3 more Foresters have been reported here of having had valve trouble due to LPG conversion.

(I'll post more details if I hear any).

Do you get the 2.5XT in Croatia?

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
It's very tempting but I'm told it would be a lot of bother to get it to work neatly esp if you have mods. :icon_frown:
I know a bloke with an Evo 8 with 400 odd BHP, thats got LPG. He's never mentioned any probs.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
I know a bloke with an Evo 8 with 400 odd BHP, thats got LPG. He's never mentioned any probs.
Any info on who did the conversion?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Some LPG experince from back in 1965 - experience with a 6 cyclinder Ford Pickup, a cop car, and a refuse truck. The pickup was my assigned vehicle, loved the low end torque, mileage wasn't that great I recall, no hot or cold weather issues. The cop car had a problem with blow-by and it eventually caused the engine oil to breakdown and cause a blown engine, we guessed that it was abused as the cops didn't care for anything different. The refuse truck had problems with the low end torque, drivers would lug the engine down and it eventually blew the engine. Would I want one, no, issue with fuel availability and not everyone could work on the intake system.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Also Japcarman has a FSTI with LPG conversion, is it modified ?

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only 2.0 engine here...sadly for LPG since suposevly they are not that good fpr conversion compared to 2.5 engines

from all the info i've herad so far i'll probably back up from this-it is very tempting but there are numerous possible problems, being them smaller or bigger, which would deminish one of main reasons i bought subaru for: reliability

thanks all for the info:)

·
Registered
2004 Litchfield 330 STI
135 Posts
lpg

only 2.0 engine here...sadly for LPG since suposevly they are not that good fpr conversion compared to 2.5 engines

from all the info i've herad so far i'll probably back up from this-it is very tempting but there are numerous possible problems, being them smaller or bigger, which would deminish one of main reasons i bought subaru for: reliability

thanks all for the info:)
Yes its got the 330 pack on it with zerosports induction kit!

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports Auto
21 Posts
I'm from Poland and I'm running my N/A 2.5L Forester Sports on LPG from about a year. I did about 17k km (11k miles) and so far no problems. The LPG conversion was made in Poland by our Polish Subaru-LPG guru :) He also converts nad tunes Turbo Subarus, even STI without any problems.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports Auto
21 Posts
Any oil spraying device?
no, nothing. I think the trick is to set a richer mixture of LPG/Oxygen in order to get lower combustion chamber temperature. Now, my gas mileage is 12,72L/100km (gasoline) and 14,20L/100km (LPG) and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2002 forester 2.0 LPG automatik
82 Posts
I am currently driving my fourth subaru on lpg-G3. I have driven in total 500.000 subaru-km on lpg now and never had any trouble that had to do with the lpg installation. Its indeed very important that it is installed by someone who knows what he is doiing. I paid 1800 euro one year ago.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts