Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really bad experience with Napa Adaptive One brake pads

Well this has been a really bad experience. Six months ago I needed to replace my old Powerslot Cryo rotors and didn't want to spend as much $$ (although they really lasted much longer than they should have). I opted to just get pads from NAPA instead of another set of Hawks and picked up two sets of Adaptive One brake pads along with four Brembo blank rotors.

For the first couple of months everything was dandy, but then I started to develop a shuddering when I was braking. Re-bedding the pads made it go away, but it came back within a week. It was simply an annoyance for a while, but continued to get worse and worse. It seems to be heat dependent because when the brakes are cold they're smooth as butter, but the hotter they get the worse the shuddering becomes, now to the point of making the whole darn interior squeak and rattle.

I'd gone to the dealer for something else and asked them to look at this issue and the tech, whom is also a big part of the local scooby club, said that the rotors weren't warped but it looked like the pads were leaving deposits on the rotors which were sticking as they swept by the pad causing the shuddering.

Then about a week ago I was in highway traffic that was speeding up and slowing down a lot, and the problem got worse and worse. I ended up doing a quick stop, but far from mashing the pedal down, and the ABS started kicking in, the brakes were like having an on/off switch and nothing in-between. After letting them cool down they went back to just being annoying.

I went back to NAPA today to inquire about warranty on the pads and they said they could replace them, but not give me my money back. I already have some OEM pads and I sure as heck didn't want the same kind so I declined on that part. BUT they did agree to also warranty the rotors, so I came home with a brand new set of rotors to replace the funky ones. I had been planning on just having my rotors turned, but really couldn't stomach the idea of turning a 6 month old set of Brembo's so I'm glad I went by the store again.

If the dealer tech's theory is correct, I would stay away from the NAPA's Adaptive One brake pads. They don't brake that well to begin with and, at least for me, leave crap behind on the rotors. But I do have to give props to NAPA for being willing to warranty everything for me if I'd wanted; I was expecting them to say that there was no way to prove it, or I must have raced them, etc... but they went this route without any fight.

Here are pictures of one front and one rear rotor. The marks you see do not so much as think about coming off with brake cleaner, and you can actually feel a texture difference rubbing your finger over them. (pardon the crappy cellphone pics)

·
Registered
03 WRX
525 Posts
dont forget you pads will deposit when it sits in winter due to moisture... that leaves those marks a lot of the time... although they also usually burn off after a good hard braking ;)

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
some nice heat damage on your front rotor there, and i know a lot of ppl that have good luck with NAPA, in the fact that if some thing happens they back you

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
some nice heat damage on your front rotor there, and i know a lot of ppl that have good luck with NAPA, in the fact that if some thing happens they back you
The heat is most likely from me trying to burn the crap off. It worked at first but eventually stopped and just made things worse.

I just finished installing the new brakes today and am so glad to have a car that doesn't shake itself apart anymore.

It's odd because this is the first set of pads/rotors that I've not hammered on. My previous Hawk HPS's (a couple of sets) and Powerslots got the the piss pounded out of them and I didn't have any problems with the rotors for ~ 80,000 miles until one started to warp a bit and I replaced them. That included a bit of ice racing, very spirited driving, and three BMW driving schools. These just saw plain-Jane daily driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts