Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester X 5-speed manual
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must not be very good at searching because I can’t believe this problem hasn’t been discussed before, possibly to ad nausea, but I couldn’t much.

So here it goes: My parents have a very small nail in the sidewall of a tire on their automatic 05 X. They’ve been told that it can’t be fixed. They’re going to get a second opinion, but since it’s in the sidewall I doubt it can be fixed. Apparently, the tire isn’t losing air, but it’s probably only a matter of time before it does.

Assuming it can’t be repaired, what are the options? We know the tread on all four tires needs to be within a ¼ inch. Or is it 3/32? The tires are new enough that they may well be the case. But if they’re not, what are their options other than getting four new tires? Can the new tire be shaved? Is this common? Would they need to go to a specialty shop? Could they drive it in FWD for a while? Any other options?

This happened to them on their last set of tires and not that long ago, so their feeling pretty sick that it’s happened again.

Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
I believe the way Subaru worded it, the circumference, not the tread must be within 1/4". So if the tires are fairly worn, then you're more or less stuck getting a set of four.

Some places can shave the tread, but is it worth it if the other tires don't have a lot of tread left.? I'm pretty sure TireRack can do tread shaving unless the tires "blocks" are really nasty.

May be worth checking. HTH & Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Prem 6-Speed Manual
130 Posts
hi tim,

that happened to me with my 05 x.

i was on the geolanders with over 32k so i had to replace all 4 tires.

i have read that if your/their existing tires are fairly new it might be possible to shave the new tire down... but i have never tried nor asked about it.

joel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. Just to be clear though, the other tires have a lot of tread left. Enough that they may be within a 1/4 inch circumference. We're just wondering what to do if they're not.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. Just to be clear though, the other tires have a lot of tread left. Enough that they may be within a 1/4 inch circumference. We're just wondering what to do if they're not.

Thanks again.
Then I'd say definitely check with TireRack - use a depth gauge, measure your tread depth, check on their site for the tread depth on the same tire when new, and see if its within the magic number, or how much would need to be shaved. If it needs to be shaved, their customer support / sales people are usually very helpful. Just throwing TireRack out as a suggestion, you may be able to find a shop locally that would do it.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and help a bit. As ifdal indicated, tirerack will most definitely shave the tire down for you. If you get the same tire, your tread must be within 2/32s of all other tires. However the rule of thumb is that you must be within the .25 inch "rolling" circumference range on all tires.

Shaving tires is not uncommon at all. Just google local race/specialty shops. They charge about $25-30 to do it. And can be a quick way to solve the problem, if you still have plenty of tread on the other tires. Bear in mind, you may pay approximately $250 for tire purchase and installation; though you may only have to pay $600-700 to replace all four, depending on the sales at your local tire place (here is where discount tire might chime in).

If the sidewall is screwed, I strongly recommend against trying to fix it. That tire is gone. Good luck

Oh, and the topic has definitely been covered ad nauseum...if youo look a little harder, you'll find dozens of threads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update for FWIW...Parents took the car to the dealer where they were there was still enough tread to put on a new tire. So, they did. All's fine. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,138 Posts
Just a quick update for FWIW...Parents took the car to the dealer where they were there was still enough tread to put on a new tire. So, they did. All's fine. Thanks again for the help.
But the 1/4" difference on the circumference is the key. Did they do that??

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
Remember they have to measure by tire circumference, not the tread depth.

Unless they tire shop knows what they are doing, and they are sure it is under 1/4", just replace all tires. Yes you will be out ~$600 now but better than dropping several grand on new transmission and diffs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts